You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Music duplicates and folders not appearing in Music

Hi everyone

One more question about files and folders in Music.

I had a folder called "test" and another called "testpppppp", both of which contained similar files. When I imported the music within those folders, Music did not create an album called "testpppppp", but did import the music from that folder.

This is my 3rd post about file names and folders in Music. I am starting to believe there is metadata inside a music or video file that Music reads, and decides how to physically handle the file. How can I manage this?

Perplexed

John

Mac Pro, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 11:34 AM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2024 11:51 AM in response to Johnnyjomp69

Hi John,

Yes, typically music files contain a tag with more metadata than can be usefully represented in the path. Details such as year of release, composer, genre, album artwork, track and disc number, album title, artist and/or album artist, etc. When you add music files to the library it will typically move and rename them to better reflect some of this metadata, or use its default layout if it is making copies of files that are imported from outside of the media folder. Depending on your preferences once connected to the library changes you make within Music may then be reflected in the file system. The key options are Keep... and Copy... on the Music > Settings > Files tab.

Do you have a subscription to the Apple Music service? This may attempt to eliminate duplicates from the library, although it shouldn't remove locally stored content but instead just marks as a duplicate. See Duplicate songs in iTunes/Music - Apple Community if you actually have duplicates in the library that you want to resolve.

I've also responded to your other threads.

tt2

Music duplicates and folders not appearing in Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.