You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can you connect an SD card adapter to a Mac Mini? If so which one?

Trying to directly connect my Nikon's SD card directly to my Mac Mini but it's not working. Hoping to link it directly to my Nikon software. Any suggestions?

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 7:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 8:23 PM

Hi,

Don't forget to install Nikon Transfer2 to receive pictures from SD card to Mac for managing pictures with NX Studio which is available at Nikon download utility site, if you haven't install them.

10 replies

Oct 9, 2024 3:15 AM in response to picture_perfect

Apple has a USB-C to SD card reader that lkrupp mentioned.

I wouldn't bother trying to connect the Lightning to SD Card camera reader (or any of the old Camera Connection Kit adapters) to a Mac. USB card readers are a dime a dozen on sites like Amazon, B&H Photo Video, & Adorama and are also built into many USB-C and Thunderbolt docks.

They do vary in speed. I wouldn't buy one that has only a USB 2.0 interface. If you're someone who takes lots of pictures and has bought high-speed memory cards with the goal of shortening transfer times, you might want to look for a reader that can take full advantage of your cards' speed.

SD Association – Bus Speed (Default Speed/High Speed/UHS/SD Express)

Oct 8, 2024 7:55 AM in response to picture_perfect

The Mini does not have an onboard SD card reader So I’m a bit confused by your post. How were you trying to connect your Nikon’s SD card? Connecting the camera to the Mini directly? What kind of port does your Nikon have?

That being said there are numerous SD card readers available that will work assuming they are USB or Thunderbolt compatible which almost all are these days. My advice? Don’t go cheap, buy one from a well known manufacturer with a good reputation. Check the technical specs to make sure it is macOS compatible, most are and don't need drivers either.

Oct 8, 2024 11:48 AM in response to picture_perfect

picture_perfect Said:

Can you connect an SD card adapter to a Mac Mini? If so which one?: Trying to directly connect my Nikon's SD card directly to my Mac Mini but it's not working. Hoping to link it directly to my Nikon software. Any suggestions?

———-

Unlock the Card:

Do you see a little sliver on the side of the card? If so, try swiping it up or down, and seeing if it is seen. SanDisk has while slivers, while Levar has black slivers.

Can you connect an SD card adapter to a Mac Mini? If so which one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.