You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I am unable to update my iPad Pro to iPadOS 18.0.1

Hi, I’ve bought a new iPad Pro today and it is stuck on the update of OS 18.0.1

i have got right to the end but have a wheel spinning and it has been doing this for at least 15 mins…

any suggestions?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 7:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2024 4:00 PM

None of the suggestions in this thread helped me, so I had to get creative.

I bought a new m4 iPad Pro and during the setup of transferring my old iPad to the new one, the setup process forced me to do the 18.0.1 update before the file transfer would begin. I’d click “install now” after verifying the update, a waiting circle would appear and never go away. If I forced restarted the new iPad, it would go to the “transferring files” screen and hang there with no progress indefinitely. I tried this 4-5x with the same result.

The ONLY thing that fixed this for me and allowed me to successfully set up the new iPad is this:

1) Start the new iPad setup process and set the iPad up as a “new device” and do not transfer any data.

2) Once the new iPad is set up (the setup for a new device doesn’t force you to update) go into settings and update to 18.0.1. This time the update will be successful. My M4 ipad purchased in 10-2024 came with iPadOS 17.7 out of the box.

3) After the update in #2 above finishes, go into settings and “Reset and erase data” on the new iPad. This option wipes the iPad but retains the software version.

4) After the new iPad has wiped and restarted, set it up as you were originally trying to by selecting to transfer data from an old device. This time, the setup won’t prompt you to update to 18.0.1 because the device is already 18.0.1 by performing steps #1-3 above.

5) This time the setup will be successful.

It seems that iPads, even ones shipping in October of 2024, still ship with iPad OS 17.7 and it bugs out when trying to update to 18.0.1 during the setup process. Setting up as a new device, updating to 18.0.1, wiping device, and doing the transfer from old device setup fixed this issue for me. I’ve had to do this on 12 company iPads, so it doesn’t appear to be a rare occurrence.

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 9, 2024 4:00 PM in response to Lindawatts

None of the suggestions in this thread helped me, so I had to get creative.

I bought a new m4 iPad Pro and during the setup of transferring my old iPad to the new one, the setup process forced me to do the 18.0.1 update before the file transfer would begin. I’d click “install now” after verifying the update, a waiting circle would appear and never go away. If I forced restarted the new iPad, it would go to the “transferring files” screen and hang there with no progress indefinitely. I tried this 4-5x with the same result.

The ONLY thing that fixed this for me and allowed me to successfully set up the new iPad is this:

1) Start the new iPad setup process and set the iPad up as a “new device” and do not transfer any data.

2) Once the new iPad is set up (the setup for a new device doesn’t force you to update) go into settings and update to 18.0.1. This time the update will be successful. My M4 ipad purchased in 10-2024 came with iPadOS 17.7 out of the box.

3) After the update in #2 above finishes, go into settings and “Reset and erase data” on the new iPad. This option wipes the iPad but retains the software version.

4) After the new iPad has wiped and restarted, set it up as you were originally trying to by selecting to transfer data from an old device. This time, the setup won’t prompt you to update to 18.0.1 because the device is already 18.0.1 by performing steps #1-3 above.

5) This time the setup will be successful.

It seems that iPads, even ones shipping in October of 2024, still ship with iPad OS 17.7 and it bugs out when trying to update to 18.0.1 during the setup process. Setting up as a new device, updating to 18.0.1, wiping device, and doing the transfer from old device setup fixed this issue for me. I’ve had to do this on 12 company iPads, so it doesn’t appear to be a rare occurrence.

Oct 10, 2024 4:29 PM in response to Err0xx

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on this post @Err0xx. Your method worked perfectly. Really appreciate your help.

I bought a iPad Air (M2) today and was having exactly the same issue over and over again with iOS 18.0.01 upon set up. After a google search, I came across your post and I am so glad I did! I was starting to have a meltdown lol. Thank you for saving the day! 😉

Oct 8, 2024 7:56 AM in response to Lindawatts

Keep your iPad connected to its Power Adapter throughout the initial setup and update process. Having the iPad connected to external power will keep the WiFi network connection alive.

You would be otherwise be best advised to allow the iPad to continue undisturbed for now. If the process fails to complete within a few hours, you may need to perform a forced-restart - and then resume the setup process.

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

I am unable to update my iPad Pro to iPadOS 18.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.