You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Since the update to iOS 18 I no longer hear sound notifications in my hearing aids

Since the update to 18 I no longer hear sound notifications in my hearing aids when I receive a text message. I have always been able to be alerted in this way.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 18

Posted on Oct 9, 2024 6:19 AM

1 reply

Oct 9, 2024 5:05 PM in response to Need2hearchime

Hi Need2hearchime

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "Since the update to 18 I no longer hear sound notifications in my hearing aids when I receive a text message.

I have always been able to be alerted in this way."

Am no expert in this area, yet your post certainly deserves some response.

You may want to check Settings > Focus > (or look in Control Centre) to see if you have Do Not Disturb turned on. If so: try turning that off.

Else:

You may want to consult the experts on Apple's Accessibility. Support Team:

See: How to contact Apple for accessibility support - Apple Support

Else to troubleshoot yourself: Wondering if the notifications still sound, just not in the hearing aids.

You can check Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices

As you don't get notifications in the way that you want, you might have a specific notifications setting turned on or off. Apple Support's online article: Use notifications on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Eg: says:

"Check settings for apps you want notifications from

1. In the Settings app, tap Notifications.
  2. Tap the app that you haven't received notifications from.
  3. Turn on Allow Notifications then choose how and where you want to receive those.

Set alerts to choose whether notifications appear on your Lock Screen, in Notifications Center, or as a Banner while you use your iPhone.

You may be able to enable Siri to announce text messages if your hearing aids (or their app) is supported:

Eg: Look in Settings > Siri & Search > Announce Notifications: Then Tap "Messages" to check if that is turned on.

More info. if needed: Announce calls, messages, and more with Siri on iPhone - Apple Support

________________________________________________________________________________

If nothing above has helped:

Look in Settings > Sounds and haptics > drag the volume slider (below Ringtone and Alerts) back and forth and ensure adequate volume for you to hear alerts through the hearing-aids

Make sure the text notification sound has not be accidentally set to "None".

More info: Change iPhone sounds and vibrations - Apple Support

You can:"Choose notification sounds for individual apps:

choose the sound that plays when a notification arrives for an app.

1. Go to Settings  > Notifications.
  2. Tap an app below Notification Style, then turn on Allow Notifications.
  3. Tap Sounds, select a sound, then tap at the top of the screen.

You can choose immediate or scheduled delivery for the app’s notifications and where you want them to appear (on the Lock Screen, in Notification Center, or as Banner at the top of the screen), and more.)

Above is from Apple Support's online article which contains more info:

See how to: Change notification settings on iPhone - Apple Support

All the best :-)

Since the update to iOS 18 I no longer hear sound notifications in my hearing aids

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.