You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Accessibility ZOOM feature stopped working on iPhone

I have a hard time reading small type on my iPhone 12 so activated the Zoom feature in Accessibility. Really a great help since I was having to do screen shots to check scores on the ESPN app which for some reason does not have a way to enlarge the font size. Have used if for about a week and loving it but this morning it stopped working. When I press the on screen control there is a very slight pulsation of the screen but not zoom . Same if I try three finger tap or bringing up the zoom menu and hitting ZOOM. I have tried turning feature on off, restarting and restarting Zoom. Force quitting phone, and updating to latest iOS 17.7 Went into the ZOOM settings and increase the magnification but same result. Cannot figure out how something that was working so great is not dead in the water as I don't. Such a handy feature for someone with vision issues Hop someone can help.

Posted on Oct 9, 2024 10:22 AM

8 replies

Oct 9, 2024 12:02 PM in response to ReidMac

Apple recommends replacing the battery at around 80%. However, your 86% Maximum Capacity is only an algorithmic estimate of a dynamic chemical process. And three years of use is when the battery will begin to become weak and unable to power all the iPhone's functions.

...To be sure, have the battery tested and see if that may be the cause.

iPhone Battery Service

About genuine iPhone batteries

Repair Provider Verification

(Articles found by searching Apple's Knowledge Base.)

õ¿õ¬

Oct 17, 2024 3:58 PM in response to Alancito

I was able to get ZOOM feature to work again without replacing battery!

Battery health still at 86%

Kept fooling around with settings on ZOOM feature and finally used the slider on screen in the app and was able to enlarge the type. The enlargement percentage in the system settings doesn't seem to affect the zoom size. Not sure why the system setting doesn't work now but more flexibility using the onscreen slider. Strange how the slider button defaults back to zero magnification but enlargement still works. Zoom activation is confusing but as long as it works everything A-OK. Reading small type so much easier. Screenshots below of slider at zero and enlarged. Weird that when enlarged the screenshot does not show larger image. Thanks

Oct 9, 2024 12:43 PM in response to Alancito

Thanks, Interesting. Guess you are saying that the battery may not be able to support the ZOOM feature? If I got a new battery installed, the ZOOM should be active again? ZOOM made using the phone so much easier. Actually wonder how many people using an iPhone activate the accessibility features?

Will have to try the battery replacement or upgrade to a 16 but wanted to wait a year. Appreciate you help

Oct 9, 2024 1:02 PM in response to ReidMac

ReidMac wrote: "Guess you are saying that the battery may not be able to support the ZOOM feature?"

Correct – but it's just a guess based on the battery being 3 years old.

"If I got a new battery installed, the ZOOM should be active again?"

Not necessarily – if the ZOOM problem wasn't due to the battery, a new battery won't make the ZOOM active again.

If it were me, I would first update to iOS 18.0.1 and see if ZOOM works.

...If not, I would have the 3-year-old battery replaced and see if ZOOM works.

õ¿õ¬

Accessibility ZOOM feature stopped working on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.