You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How do I alphabetically sort list linked to other tables?

Is it possible that it is not possible to sort a list alphabetically, if it is linked via formulas to other tables? How to solve it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 24″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 10, 2024 1:18 AM

3 replies

Oct 10, 2024 10:54 AM in response to SGIII

I'll try to explain it better.

I have a document with 65 sheets and 336 tables.

Made for the management of the summer camp.

In a sheet I have a database with the registry of the registrants even from previous years.

The camp lasts seven weeks so I have a sheet for each week that takes the list of names from the database with this formula

In the weekly sheet there are various columns where participation fees are marked such as weekly registration, lunches, trips...

To each weekly sheet are connected other sheets that with formulas (IF/OR)I'll try to explain it better.

In a sheet I have a database with the registry of the registrants even from previous years.

The camp lasts seven weeks so I have a sheet for each week that takes the list of names from the database with this formula

In the weekly sheet there are various columns where participation fees are marked such as weekly registration, lunches, trips...

To each weekly sheet are connected other sheets that with formulas and filters make lists of those present at lunch, or on the trip or other activities.

These lists show the name it takes from the weekly sheet and the phone number it takes from the database

In each weekly sheet there are also hidden columns that allow me to automatically fill in graphs, lists by year of birth and more.

When I add a new member to the database, this name is also included in the weekly sheets.

If I order the database, the weekly sheets are also ordered but only in the name column: the other columns remain fixed. and filters make lists of those present at lunch, or on the trip or other activities.

These lists show the name it takes from the weekly sheet and the phone number it takes from the database

In each weekly sheet there are also hidden columns that allow me to automatically fill in graphs, lists by year of birth and more.

When I add a new member to the database, this name is also included in the weekly sheets.

If I order the database, the weekly sheets are also ordered but only in the name column: the other columns remain fixed.

I'll try to explain it better.

To each weekly sheet are connected other sheets that with formulas and filters make lists of those present at lunch, or on the trip or other activities.

If I order the database, the weekly sheets are also ordered but only in the name column: the other columns remain fixed.

It is a complex document, but working in everything, except for the possibility of having the last members in alphabetical order.

Oct 10, 2024 5:59 AM in response to Dubbia

If the formulas are of the form =Table 1::B2, =Table 1::B3, etc. then you can sort them. The formulas will get all out of order but the results will be sorted. You will have to sort again if you later change something in Table 1. And you won't be as easily able to add new rows to the sorted table because they won't automatically get the correct cell references like they would if the formulas were in order in the column.

How do I alphabetically sort list linked to other tables?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.