You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Netflix stuttering Apple TV 4K

Recently my 2021 purchased Apple TV 4k (Model A2169) started stuttering on some Netflix shows. This was especially noticeable on The Perfect Couple. It would happen frequently and look like dropped frames.

I have done the following:

1. Played around with all settings, including Match Frame Rate etc with no fix.
  2. Completely reset the box and had it reinstall TVOS.
  3. Unplugged it for 1, 5, 10 minutes, then hours then a full day with no fix.
  4. Unit is ethernet hard wired into router which is 300mbs service.

As per many other posts on this topic on the web, the shows on Netflix that stutter through the Apple TV play fine on the TVs Netflix app. TV is a Panasonic GZ2000.

I know there is an issue with content on Netflix shot at 24fps being forced to play at 23.997, but that is a dropped frame every 30-40 seconds, not the frequent stuttering I am getting.

The interesting issue is I have a spare Apple TV 4K (model A1842) from 2018 that has TVOS 14.45 installed. It does NOT stutter on the same shows no matter what I try. Same settings etc, but no stutter at all.

I am loathe to update it as it is working perfectly and I know you cannot downgrade an Apple TV.

Does anyone know if this points to a hardware issue with the 2021 version or if this is a software issue? The only way I would be able to tell is if I upgraded the 2018 box to the new TVOS, but if it brings back the stuttering I am stuck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Oct 10, 2024 8:45 AM

9 replies

Oct 10, 2024 2:14 PM in response to JMW1967

• If the issue is only present on Netflix, as opposed to all content, then I would rule out hardware. I don't have that specific model, but rather the next 3rd generation (Model number: A2737) and can confirm it is also working without issue.

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the Netflix app? If it persists try first reaching out to Netflix to see what they say, and then call Apple support and they can run through things with you to narrow down what is going on.

Oct 11, 2024 12:12 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks for the reply.

I had not actually tried that so I did tonight. At first it worked on The Perfect Couple, so I tried The Midnight Sky and the stuttering was present. I switched back to The Perfect Couple and it happened there again too.

I immediately switched the boxes again and neither show did it at all.

It’s clear to me that this must be a software problem as you are correct that if it was hardware it would be doing it across all streaming services.

I’ll see if Apple or Netflix can assist but I don’t hold out much hope as there isn’t much else to test.

Thanks

Oct 12, 2024 3:01 AM in response to vazandrew

Thanks vazandrew.

I bit the bullet and updated the old box to 18.0 and it now does the same skipping as the newer one. I didn't have much choice as other apps installed under 14.5 would not work so I had to give it a try.

Very disappointing. I will try Netflix support but I highly doubt they will offer any real assistance beyond reinstall / reboot etc.

Thanks

Oct 19, 2024 1:37 AM in response to vazandrew

I got no where with Netflix support. They took me through the usual basic questions (cables, Internet connection, rebooting etc) and finally got to the point where they would ask me questions from an actual tech support.

However they only went through the next level ones (reinstall App, Match Frame & Range etc) before saying it was an Apple problem and that it was guaranteed that a 'factory reset' would solve the issue.

So back to square one. I have done 3 Resets on both boxes and the judder continues. I have tried as many resolutions as possible with some changes, but the judder is still there. I have switched cables and inputs on the TV with no change so I don't see anything else I can try.

I have ordered a new box from Apple to see if it is the box itself. If it isn't I can return it with the return window for a refund.

I still firmly think it is a Netflix app problem with TVOS18 as I had no issues with previous operating systems.

Very frustrating.

Netflix stuttering Apple TV 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.