You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Siri Cant Change Lights to White

Hello! My smart bulbs have two sets of LEDs, ones for colour and the others for white light. When I use the Home app I can pick whatever colour I want and the light bulbs change to that colour. And when I when I go to “Temperature” panel it switches the lights to white mode and I can set the temperature from warmer to cooler.

My HomePod can only seem to set the lights to colour mode. When I try to get her to set the lights to white mode by mentioning a temperature like “warm” or “cool” she says my lights can’t do that, even though they obviously can in the app.

Does she just don’t understand the command? What voice command should I be using?

As a temporary measure I created a scene called “Reset the Lights” which puts the lights back into white mode, but this is annoying because it does this for the entire house.

HomePod, 18

Posted on Oct 10, 2024 10:47 AM

6 replies

Oct 10, 2024 11:59 AM in response to lazyvar

They are bridged with Home Assistant, I assumed that wouldn’t be an issue since home assistant also has full control over the light bulbs. They don’t natively support HomeKit.

I attached some photos to show you what I mean by “modes” as I don’t know how else to describe it.

The first one is “white” using the colour LEDs in the middle, they don’t get anywhere near as bright.

This is also “white” but using temperature. I dimmed them to 10% so you can see the LEDs better.

Basically Siri refuses to control the outer ring of LEDs even though the HomeKit app and Home Assistant can which I find bizarre.

If this a limitation of them being cheap smart bulbs then I understand. They are Lepro branded.

Oct 10, 2024 2:02 PM in response to oliver_cool103

Interesting, it seems the manufacturer uses two sets of LEDs in one light and depending on what color temperature it'll drive one or the other (or perhaps both).

I don't think I've seen such a thing before.

As for your actual issue: I've heard of external solutions such as Home Assistant and Homebridge, but I'm not intimately familiar with them.

The way Siri handles requests significantly depends on what the manufacturer exposes to the HomeKit API and how they do it, at least under normal circumstances.

With DIY solutions such as Home Assistant and Homebridge these things have to be manually configured, often with a lot of trial and error.

A quick glance at Home Assistant's documentation suggests that it doesn't support HomeKit and specifically Siri in the traditional way out of the box.

Instead it relies on Shortcuts via it's app and Siri executing these shortcuts based on the voice command set for those shortcuts, which, for the purposes of the topic at hand, is an entirely seperate system.

That's not to say that it's impossible to have a more native HomeKit/Siri experience, at first glance people have found ways to make that happen, seemingly levering Homebridge in some cases to do so.

However, now you're venturing into the territory of workarounds for the workaround (i.e., Home Assistant) and that level of tweaking/tinkering tends to go beyond the scope of this forum or put differently; beyond the scope of most people's expertise here.

Nevertheless, I hope I can at least point you into some directions where you might have better luck getting help by providing the links below.

Oct 10, 2024 10:51 AM in response to oliver_cool103

What Siri can or can’t do or understand depends a bit on how the manufacturer has implemented HomeKit support and how they expose information.

Can you provide a little more information on your setup?

What brand and model are your smart bulbs?

Is there a bridge involved?

Also, do I understand it correctly in that you’re saying that your bulbs essentially have two modes?

White and color instead of white simply being one of the color options in a general color mode?

Oct 10, 2024 11:54 PM in response to oliver_cool103

If they don’t support or “work with HomeKit” Siri might not help with that. The photos weren’t helpful. Not all lights support cool. Even though it may appear to you that you are adjusting it to brighten up. Plain white ambience smart bulbs can’t really do “cool” as there is no blue in them. There’s only various shades of yellow or “warm”. Only my coloured lights can go very cool. I use Philips Hue. What kind of bulbs are they?

Siri Cant Change Lights to White

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.