You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

A server with the specified hostname could not be found

New error after my update to 18.01 OS.

This error only occurs when I am on my home wifi, and only when I try and access music. Any music on AppleTV, and any music on my phone that has not been downloaded. All other streaming services work. When I select play I get the pop up error "a server with the specified hostname could not be found." I am able to use the AppleTV for movies and shows, but not music. I am able to use my phone for Movies and shows through AppleTV. I am able to stream any music through my phone when not on WIFI. Since the AppleTV obviously won't work without wifi, there is no way to check that.

I have updated the firmware on my NightHawk mesh system. I have rebooted my router, and then subsequently the mesh. I have don't that whole process twice. No change.

Posted on Oct 10, 2024 12:57 PM

5 replies

Oct 14, 2024 12:55 PM in response to lkrupp

I'm also in the Midwest. I have no idea what happened, but all of the sudden everything is working again. I can stream all music through my Apple Music on my phone, and the music on AppleTv is working again also. I made ZERO changes to my router/wifi/phone since yesterday when it still wasn't working, until today when it is working. Weird. Hopefully it's working for everyone else now too.

Oct 14, 2024 8:41 AM in response to Chris663c

Same here. There’s definitely something going on with servers at Apple’s end.

Here’s something strange I stumbled into. Apple Music worked on my iPhone but not on my Mac or ATV Music app. I noticed that Private Relay was turned on on my iPhone but not my Mac. I turned Private Relay on my Mac and everything started working as before. Turned Private Really off on my Mac and the problem returned. Strange indeed.

Unfortunately I learned that Private Relay is not available for the ATV so the Music app on my ATV is dead in the water.

There’s another issue users are reporting about the search function in the Music app. If you enter more than a single word in the search field the search fails with an error message “Something went wrong, try again."

Oct 14, 2024 1:18 PM in response to jherc30

Bingo! Apple Music now working again on my Apple TV. This all but confirms it was some backend server issues. If it was limited to a specific region that would explain why there weren’t more complaints.

Thanks for reporting back!

And by the way my HomePod Mini was also dead in the water. Any request was answered with “I'm having trouble connecting to the Internet” Miracle of miracles it has started spring again too.

We’ll likely never know what really happened. Might it have been my internet provider Spectrum? Could it have been on Apple’s end? Just happy things are back to normal now and hopefull this is the end of it. It’s been 5 days since this issue began.

A server with the specified hostname could not be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.