You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

2017 Macbook Pro just began crashing whenever plugged into external display

I have a Macbook Pro with a partition for Windows 10 installed using Bootcamp with the kitted drivers. I duplicate the display through HDMI 2.1 to a Sharp TV. Two days ago (not ever before and not timed with any obvious updates), Radeon AMD starts crashing following sudden computer freezeups whenever the laptop is connected via hdmi to an external display (have tried several). When the crash resolves, which usually requires a hard restart, the peripheral display no longer displays. When I uninstall/reinstall the AMD software & drivers, the external display will briefly show, then crash as before. I have replaced the hdmi cable and other peripherals plugged in to the thunderbolt ports. Additionally, I do not have this problem when displaying via peripheral when I’m booted into the MacOS-side partition - only on the windows side (so probably not a bad RAM stick or other hardware). I have tried system restoring to a point when everything was working, reinstalling windows, and downgrading the AMD drivers to older ones and nothing seems to help. I have reset the system management controller, in case there’s some electrical powering issue through the ports and have reset NVRAM/PRAM  - also without success. 

Does this seem like a Radeon AMD issue/software conflict or is there anything else I should try?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Oct 10, 2024 5:18 PM

There are no replies.

2017 Macbook Pro just began crashing whenever plugged into external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.