You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

29TBW on Mac Mini 2018

I got a Mac Mini from Ebay - it has i7 CPU 32 GB RAM and 1TB SSD

Drive Dx shows 29 Tera Bytes Written.

Does my SSD have good life left?

What is the usual TBW rating for this kind of a device?

[Edited by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 11, 2024 7:04 AM

2 replies

Oct 11, 2024 8:53 AM in response to SrikantLive

You are fine with 29TB written. Apple does not disclose any technical details for their SSDs, but they typically have the average or higher ratings than most consumer SSDs. I would expect a minimum of 300TBW.

I hope you performed a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical SSD (Intel Macs only) and reinstalled macOS before you started using it for anything important. Best to make sure there are no nasty surprises hiding from the previous owner.

Oct 12, 2024 5:56 AM in response to SrikantLive

Generally, one terabyte SSDs will have around 600 TBW.

One thing to note is that the TBW specs that are given by manufacturers are only there to tell you what they will cover under warranty and not necessarily how long the SSD will last and are only estimates. Like a car manufacturer will have say a 60,000 mile warranty doesn't mean that it will die at 60,001 miles (although these days that is becoming debatable with too many cars, if they last that long).

29TBW on Mac Mini 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.