You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Excel F2 function no longer working on Mac

My job requires a lot of Excel. I used to be on PC and loved the ability to edit a cell with the f2 key. When I moved to a Mac, I did not want to press "fn + f2" so I used an app called Karabiner Elements to remap my f2 key. Instead of the factory default of increasing my screen brightness, it now functions as the standard f2 key, like a PC. All my other function keys are still mac default (mission control, play/pause, volume, etc.) This allowed me to use f2 to edit a cell like a PC, but still be able to press f8 to pause my music. This worked not only in Excel, but also Google Sheets.

Something changed overnight where this no longer works. Karabiner Elements still allows me to remap any keys I want to, and they all work in various programs, including Excel and Google Sheets, except for f2. Currently, I can edit a cell if I press "fn + f2" or if I change the mac keyboard setting to force all function keys to act as standard function keys. But no matter what I try, mac will not allow we to remap f2 as a standard function key while leaving the other function keys to be mac default.

Any ideas on what might be wrong or how I can edit a cell in Excel with just one key? I even tried using Karabiner Elements to remap f1 - didn't work. I know this is a small problem, but its so engrained in how I work, that it messes up my flow.

MacBook Air, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 11, 2024 12:32 PM

There are no replies.

Excel F2 function no longer working on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.