You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Punctuation snafus suddenly appeared per keyboard...plus bluetooth speaker connects, but won’t play music

I upgraded to Sequoia 15.0.1 and all seemed well. Now my JBL FLIP5 won’t play though bluetooth says it’s connected. More nerve-racking is punctuation mark snafus. I’ve rebooted multiple times and tried another keyboard with my Mac Mini...but the problems remain.

Any suggestions?

Mac mini, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 11, 2024 3:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2024 5:13 AM

Robert Sides wrote: I'd tried changing the keyboard text input before, did select US, but then failed to delete the Latin option (didn't know I had to).

Yes, "selecting" an input source does not do anything. Which one is active depends on what you do in the Input Menu in the Menu Bar at the top right of the screen. If you watch that menu, you can keep the Latin option (or any others you want) on the All Input Sources list without problems. But for most users it's easiest to just have one item on the list.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 15, 2024 5:13 AM in response to Robert Sides

Robert Sides wrote: I'd tried changing the keyboard text input before, did select US, but then failed to delete the Latin option (didn't know I had to).

Yes, "selecting" an input source does not do anything. Which one is active depends on what you do in the Input Menu in the Menu Bar at the top right of the screen. If you watch that menu, you can keep the Latin option (or any others you want) on the All Input Sources list without problems. But for most users it's easiest to just have one item on the list.

Oct 11, 2024 7:29 PM in response to Robert Sides

Not much of a suggestion… give Apple feedback at www.apple.com/feedback, let them know… as Sequoia is a very new MacOS and you’re on the beta/cutting edge, having installed MacOS 15.0.1 maybe expect some teething problems and a few hiccups/ problems along the way… Apple suggests that you not install the latest beta/cutting edge of MacOS on “mission critical” Macs/equipment… same caution goes for iOS ..you must be enrolled in the Beta Program for MacOS so maybe give them feedback, too( be polite and patient though) it’s at https:// beta.apple.com then go to feedback…

darn, that’s gotta be sorta annoying… a fair while back, I upgraded from a mountain Lion to Mavericks then Yosemite… and my wifi went kaput… I could see the hardware… but no matter what I did, wifi didn’t work at all… reset the router… released and renewed the DHCP and the IP address, tried different ones… reset the AirPort… all to no avail… only with Mojave did the Wifi work fine again…

You could also try Apple Diagnostics or WiFI Diagnostics

here for the Wifi : Use Wireless Diagnostics on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

and here for Apple Diagnostics:

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

… kudos to MrHoffman for these helpful tips/advice

John b ( still running Mojave on a 12core Mac Pro from 2012-ish…

Oct 12, 2024 5:10 AM in response to Robert Sides

Robert Sides wrote:

When I type a colon, I get this Ñ (the one above was copied from a correct punctuation mark elsewhere)

A quotation mark appears as [

An ampersand is /

Asterisk is (

That should be a easy fix. It looks like you just have the input source called Latin American active by mistake.

Go to system settings > keyboard > text input > edit > all input sources and make sure there is only one item on that list, and that the name of that item is US or ABC. Use the minus button at the bottom of the list to remove Latin American or anything else.

Oct 12, 2024 3:34 AM in response to Robert Sides

Thanks.

And shitburgers per Apple’s upgrades! 

I’d been using OS Monterey “forever“ because I’d upgraded before and had lost functionality on some peripherals. So I wanted to wait until any update had completed its “shakedown cruise.“

Then, for some crazy need to “feel current,“ I upgraded to Sonoma on my laptop...which I rarely use. Everything seemed kosher on it, so I foolishly figured upgrading to the newest system on my home-base (Mac Mini 2018) would be fine. My naive self thought Apple would have worked out all kinks.

It hadn’t.

Lesson learned.

I love me some Apple products. I like plug-and-play and not having to tinker with anything under the “digihood.“ I hate dealing with the unforeseen hassles that, I’ve learned the hard way, inevitably come with upgrades.

And to be honest, I really don’t find any of the new “whizz-bangs“ in Sequoia worth the change. I was seduced by the latest-is-best siren call, forgetting why I use the OS in the first place (mostly to write, use email, and surf the Interwebs).

It’s like smartphones: for years I used simple flip/clam phones. I’m not a gamer or someone who uses phones for more than calls or text-messaging (doing few of those). Mostly I’m content using my coal-burning Mac-Mini, the phone minimally.

When I went to a Verizon store to discuss my FIOS account, the rep spotted my smoke-signal-sending old-school flip-phone and suggested I get a smartphone. He actually listened to me, heard my needs, and urged me to not buy one of his store’s new phones, but get a refurbished Apple iPhone online. I did just that. I purchased a cheap, mint-condition iPhone SE...which I like very, very much. It looks like a Porsche to me and serves all my needs.

Again, I just use it for calls/texts. I’m usually the only rider on public transportation who’s looking at a...book. (<:)

Anyhoo, for now I cope (barely) by using the “letter-substitution“ function on my computer. When I type a punctuation key and the usual mark doesn’t appear, the “brain“ of my computer substitutes the correct one (the one that normally should appear, pre-OS upgrade). It’s a workaround, but still: it’s frustrating and slows down my typing.

In any case, thanks for your tips. I’ll suss them out.

PS. I don’t use this forum very often, but when I do I’m amazed at both the speed of responses and their helpfulness. Appletonians have bailed out my digital arse several times. I’m grateful.

Oct 15, 2024 12:53 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom:

OMG! Yuda M-A-N!

So far, so good now per your suggestions.

I'd tried changing the keyboard text input before, did select US, but then failed to delete the Latin option (didn't know I had to). So while I thought I was solely on the US version...I wasn't.

So...thank you, thank you, thank you!

And thank you once more.

Again, you're the best.

(And honestly, this forum ain't too shabby, either. It's save my Luddite-arse more than once. Per keyboarding, I'd gone on a wild goose chase in other forums and YouTube offerings and not ONE suggested what you did).

Punctuation snafus suddenly appeared per keyboard...plus bluetooth speaker connects, but won’t play music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.