You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can't convert external drive to APFS

I'm upgrading a 2011 Mac Mini to the 2023 Mini. I have an Iomega external hard drive I've been using for SuperDuper backup that I need to erase and convert to APFS format, but when I use Disk Utility to erase, APFS isn't an option. Is there a way to do this? Or does this mean I need to get a new external drive?

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 7:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 9:06 AM

IIRC, in older versions of Disk Utility you first have to select the partition 'scheme' before the APFS format options are offered. The scheme you want for APFS is GUID.

Being that the drive is thirteen (!) years old, I strongly advise you to find a replacement. It would be a shame if the drive were to fail just when you need it. And that's usually how those things go.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 12, 2024 9:06 AM in response to Dennis Shedd

IIRC, in older versions of Disk Utility you first have to select the partition 'scheme' before the APFS format options are offered. The scheme you want for APFS is GUID.

Being that the drive is thirteen (!) years old, I strongly advise you to find a replacement. It would be a shame if the drive were to fail just when you need it. And that's usually how those things go.

Oct 12, 2024 7:52 AM in response to Dennis Shedd

What macOS version are you using when you look to reformat that drive. APFS is be an option for Disk Utility in macOS High Sierra and newer.

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

How old is that Iomega drive? (I thought Iomega disappeared many years ago.)

Even if you do get the drive reformatted, I suspect it may be old enough that you may not want to trust it with your backups. All drives fail. Older drives fail soonest.

Oct 12, 2024 9:17 AM in response to Dennis Shedd

Is SuperDuper requiring you to change the format from Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to APFS...?

If not, just erase and re-format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then start new backups on it.

I'm not sure about SuperDuper, but spinning Hard Drives can stay Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for Time Machine and CarbonCopyCloner.

Also as mentioned, I would not rely on that old of an external drive as my only backup.

Can't convert external drive to APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.