You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Microphone icon appears in my menu bar when visiting a certain website on Safari

I'm restarting this thread:

Microphone icon appears in my menu bar wh… - Apple Community

What does it mean when an orange microphone icon appears in my menubar when visiting a certain website? And more importantly, where can I manage this privacy aspect?
* I checked Privacy & Security in Settings, and find no mention of Safari in there.
* I checked the Safari Settings, and even in the Privacy section there is no mention of microphone access.
* I can edit Settings for xxx on a website by website basis, which seems to default to 'Ask'
* Safari never asks me despite this setting.
* Even when I set it to Deny for this site, the icon remains.

The solution for many people was rebooting in Safe mode. However, for me, that only solves the issue if I'm still in safe mode. Once I reboot, normally, the problem comes back. I created a test profile and did not have the problem, so I'm curious if there is something in my user profile that is giving Safari permission to the mic.

Posted on Oct 13, 2024 8:54 AM

There are no replies.

Microphone icon appears in my menu bar when visiting a certain website on Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.