You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Turn off long press edit of home screen?

My mother is in her 90's and we have set up her iPhone to be easy to use by replacing most of the app icons with large buttons that execute shortcuts so she can call or message her relatives easily. The trouble is that, whenever I visit her, she has managed to lose the layout or even delete some of the buttons altogether. I think this is because she is inadvertently doing long presses rather than tapping. She must then accidentally edit her home screen. Is there any way to turn off long press editing or change the responsiveness of the touch screen to help someone with less flexibility in their fingers?

iPhone SE (2nd generation)

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 5:06 AM

2 replies

Oct 15, 2024 7:41 AM in response to Alancito

Thanks for trying to help. I have had a look at the Assistive Access which does seem to allow adjustments for press duration but, as I don't know exactly what she is doing, it is difficult to know what settings to change. I think making the phone react to different tap lengths may frustrate her as her touch is unpredictable. Far better if there was a Control Centre switch to turn off screen edits. She would be unlikely to reset that by accident.

Turn off long press edit of home screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.