You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How do I link a Macbook Pro M2 (2022) and/or a Macbook Pro M3 (2023) to a Thunderbolt Display (2011)?

I work on both a Macbook Pro M2 (2022) and Macbook Pro M3 (2023) but I would love to have them linked to my old Thunderbolt Display (2011). What gadgets do I need to do this? Do advise. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 10:55 AM

1 reply

Oct 14, 2024 7:16 PM in response to lola08z

If this is actually an Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch) (model A1407), you need an Apple Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapter. You might also need a Thunderbolt 1/2 cable if it turns out that the built-in "hydra" cable is bad or flaky (and you want to try bypassing it).

The Thunderbolt Display has two heads on its hydra cable:

• Thunderbolt (Mini DisplayPort connector)
  • MagSafe (older version, not compatible with either of your Macs)

The similar LED Cinema Display (27-inch) (model A1316) has three heads on its hydra cable:

• Mini DisplayPort
  • USB
  • MagSafe (older version, not compatible with either of your Macs)

If that is the display that you have, you need a third-party USB-C to Mini DIsplayPort (female) adapter, and you will need to connect the display to the computer via USB, as well, if you want to be able to control brightness.

How do I link a Macbook Pro M2 (2022) and/or a Macbook Pro M3 (2023) to a Thunderbolt Display (2011)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.