You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can Assisted Access unlock with Face ID?

I setup Assisted Access for my mother, but the phone now requires the passcode to unlock instead of Face ID. She needs face ID as she can't recall her code. It's not the code to turn off Assisted Access but the normal unlock passcode. The Face ID works just fine when Assisted Access is turned off..

iPhone XR

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 11:49 AM

2 replies

Oct 17, 2024 5:31 PM in response to Maddoxkj

The passcode is always required, even with biometrics (Face ID or Touch ID) enabled, as the passcode is the decryption key.

Biometrics (Face ID and Touch ID) avoid having to enter the passcode or password as often, but do not and cannot replace it.

The passcode or password is the data decryption key, not the biometrics.

What to do? Use a Sharpie to write the passcode on the case, as an option.

Maybe the digits of a long-remembered childhood telephone number works as a memorable passcode?

However, if the passcode is beyond reach, I’d also consider getting a DECT or similar cordless phone, and dispensing with Apple gear. This having tried to keep folks I know well with their own and long-familiar Apple gear, and for too long.

Oct 17, 2024 5:10 PM in response to Maddoxkj

Hi Maddoxkj,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: Can Assisted Access unlock with Face ID?

Am no expert in this area, yet your question certainly deserves some response.

Apple Support's online article: Set up Assistive Access on iPhone - Apple Support

says for:

Step 5: Verify the device passcode

Make sure the person using Assistive Access knows the device passcode, if one has been set. The device passcode is the numerical code used to unlock iPhone.

You can also set up Face ID or Touch ID (depending on the iPhone model) so that the person using iPhone can unlock it with their face or a finger or thumb.

To make changes to the device passcode, Face ID, or Touch ID, tap Change Security Settings.

Learn how to set up Face ID on iPhone

Learn how to set up Touch ID on iPhone

If you left Assistive Access setup to make changes to security settings, go back to Settings > Accessibility > Assistive Access to continue.

If you need more help or support, you may want to contact the experts in Apple's Accessibility Support Team:

How to contact Apple for accessibility support - Apple Support

All the best :-)

Can Assisted Access unlock with Face ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.