You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

SSD dead? "The operation couldn’t be completed. Invalid argument"

I had an internet service failure during an upgrade of the OS (to 14.7). I recovered by booting to recovery, erasing the boot drive, reinstalling the OS (14.7), and using Migration Assistant to restore my files, programs, and settings from a recent Time Machine backup.

Now, an external SSD (APFS) in a USB3 enclosure will not mount. Disk Utility first aid fails, so does erase. When I boot into recovery, and from there again try, I get the same error message, "The operation couldn’t be completed. Invalid argument." I have targeted the Volume, not the Volume Group, nor the Container. There is no hub externally: the enclosure is directly attached to the M2 MacBook Air via a known good TB4 cable.

Have I explained clearly? Are there any suggestions?

I must confess that I wonder what argument it is that is invalid, and also if I might be able to approach this fruitfully from the command line when booted into recovery.

MacBook Air, macOS 14.7

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 2:00 PM

2 replies

Oct 14, 2024 8:34 PM in response to autnagrag

When running First Aid, you should run it first on the physical drive, then on the hidden APFS Container (it will automatically scan all volumes within that Container as well). Within Disk Utility you need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drives and hidden Containers appear on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if the First Aid summary says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll back through the report to see if any unfixed errors listed. If there are errors, run First Aid again until the errors are gone. If after several attempts the errors remain, then the only option is to erase the whole physical drive followed by restoring the data from a backup.

Here is an Apple article with instructions for erasing the whole physical external drive:

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Of course, the external drive may have a hardware failure (could possibly be a cable or adapter/hub/dock issue as well). Try using another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop.

You can try checking the health of the external drive by using DriveDx (free trial period) and posting the complete DriveDx text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper on the forum editing toolbar. You will need to install a special USB driver in order to attempt to access the health information on the external drive. The amount of health information on SSDs vary by type & manufacturer...some have very little health information.

SSD dead? "The operation couldn’t be completed. Invalid argument"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.