You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Editing issues in FCP re ProRes

I face editing issues in FCP because I'm working with video files created 2004-2010, and 8mm movies converted to .mov. Apple support has told me my editing issues are because my videos are not ProRes compatible. I'm also including many old .jpegs, .PNG screenshots and some AI-enhanced .jpegs, so I'm not sure that only the old videos are the only cause of editing issues. When I started this project 1+ years ago, I had no problem editing, and perhaps the problem is upgrading to Sequoia and the most recent FCP. With many work arounds, I will get through this project.

My question is my next video project. I will convert all the old video to ProRes, but what about my image files? I have an iPhone14 which doesn't have ProRes like the Pro, so do I have to convert these files to ProRes? Apple told me that just because I edit images in Photos, I'm not guaranteed ProRes compatibility. And most irritating, Apple has no ProRes converter app and refuses to recommend a third party.

I would love to hear how anyone is dealing with this "ProRes" challenge.

iMac 24″, macOS 14.7

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 2:01 PM

10 replies

Oct 14, 2024 2:25 PM in response to gregmacosko

Unfortunately, as is often the case with Apple support, the “information” they provide is frequently misleading. ProRes is not absolutely necessary for Final Cut Pro. The application supports a wide range of formats, including JPEGs and PNGs for still images, which should not pose any issues. If the video files are causing problems, converting them to a QuickTime-compatible format is recommended. While ProRes is an excellent codec, it generates large files and requires large and fast drives to function optimally.

Please provide us with the exact specifications of the video media, and we may be able to offer some solutions. 

Oct 14, 2024 5:31 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I think I see the problem. 3 of my video CODECs are DV/DVCPRO-NTSC, the others are H.264 and a ProRes 422. The ProRes is 30 FPS and one H.264 is 25 FPS, the rest are 29.97. My resolutions are 1920X1080, 1280X720, 720X540 and all the rest 720X480.

So I assume I must convert the 3 DVs, likely to Apple ProRes 422. And perhaps others. Please recommend how I should do this and to what format FPS and resolution.

Thx

Editing issues in FCP re ProRes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.