You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Scale Quantize not working properly?

Hi,

So Logic is set to the key of C (I am not sure if this matters for my question).

I played in a C major scale.

In the piano Roll Editor I set Scale quantize to the key of C and change the key to Natural Minor.

Look what I am getting from Logic.:

Can anyone please explain to me why this is the result when quantizing a C major scale with the C natural minor scale?

Am i missing something?

This is what I would expect it to look like:

Thanks for any help you can give me!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.7

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 3:26 PM

6 replies

Oct 16, 2024 3:03 PM in response to yoyoBen

Perhaps. What is most confusing though is that we have to pick a key and then a mode or a scale.

It would make much more sense to pick the root note of the scale or mode. By doing so it wouldn't matter at all what key the song is in. You see, C Phrygian has a very clear defined set of pitches, no matter what key the song is in. The pitches of C Phrygian simply are C Db Eb F G Ab Bb. So no matter the notes and key all the notes should be changed to those notes.

On the other hand, we all know that the scale C Phrygian belongs to the key of Ab major. Because of it it would make sense to set scale quantize to the key of Ab and the scale to Phrygian.

Well, I tried it and the result is also wrong.

I just can't figure out what these Logic guys were thinking. And unfortunately, it is nowhere explained by giving an example in the manual.

Hopefully Apple is looking into this eventually, because it would be so great to convert a song into a different mode by the klick of a button.

Scale Quantize not working properly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.