You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can remote erase be stopped with passcode only?

I have a iPad that was marked as lost, then remotely erased. It was left behind with someone who knows the passcode but not the Apple ID password. I was notified that the device came back online just now. Can the finder stop the erase with the passcode only? Or is the password required.

Basically, I don’t want the finder to stop the erase and snoop around on my iPad. I want to confirm that they cannot access the iPad, now that I know it’s back online.

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 6:38 PM

1 reply

Oct 15, 2024 11:03 AM in response to Josh_Ratliff

The iPad will be erased when the iPad comes online. To cancel the erase, you must sign-in to iCloud using a browser - which requires your AppleID (a.k.a. Apple Account) credentials.

More information can be found here:

Erase a device in Find Devices on iCloud.com - Apple Support

If you suspect that your AppleID credentials may known to anyone other than you, you should follow the steps outlined here:

If you think your Apple Account has been compromised - Apple Support

Can remote erase be stopped with passcode only?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.