You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Replicate laptop experience with Mac mini

I have a 2020 Mac mini. My laptop is on its last legs and I prefer to avoid purchasing another one. The Mini currently is connected to an AOC 16T3EA 16'' Class USB-C Ultra-Slim Portable Monitor, a wireless keyboard, and a wireless mouse. I use this setup as a desktop but want to be able to replicate the laptop experience (i.e., work in a chair with the keyboard/trackpad/monitor in my lap).

It seems like an iPad with something like a Zagg keyboard will work but I wanted to ask for some advice before I make such a move because buying an iPad to basically serve as a monitor seems more costly. What do folks recommend to meet the needs of what I described above and to do so in the most cost effective fashion? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted on Oct 14, 2024 8:33 PM

8 replies

Oct 14, 2024 9:18 PM in response to Danielmak

Danielmak Said:

"Replicate laptop experience with Mac mini: [...]It seems like an iPad with something like a Zagg keyboard will work but I wanted to ask for some advice before I make such a move because buying an iPad to basically serve as a monitor seems more costly. What do folks recommend to meet the needs of what I described above and to do so in the most cost effective fashion? Thanks in advance for any advice."

-------

Replicating a Laptop from Another Device:

An iPad is a tablet --it has nothing that is the power of a laptop or a desktop. So, look up the specs of your Mac:

1. Open: Apple menu
  2. Hold Down: option key
  3. Select: System Information
  4. Scroll Through: Hardware

If all is meeting your needs, then that is what is shown is what to consider going by, when it comes to the hardware of your new Mac.

Moving Specfic Content to a New Mac:

Use Migration Assistant: Create Time Machine Backup, and then use Migration Assistant to transfer files from your Time Machine backup.  Go Here: Move your Content to a New Mac - Apple Support

Oct 15, 2024 9:49 AM in response to Danielmak

Hello Danielmak,

Ok. So, if I understand correctly, you would like to use the AOC monitor along with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard in your lap while drawing off of the power of the Mac mini?

I'm not really sure where a docking station would come in, but my suggestion would be to purchase a long USB-C cable to connect to your Mac mini (if applicable) and then use a small shelf or a big flat book to support the monitor, mouse, and keyboard combo on your lap. There really is no way to get around the USB-C cable and use the display wirelessly, unfortunately, at least with your current setup.

Apart from this, I think an iPad is a valid alternative, but let's see how the above-mentioned setup works first. I can see why buying an iPad just to work as a second display is probably not very practical.

Oct 14, 2024 9:19 PM in response to Danielmak

Hello Danielmak,

Probably the most cost-effective and best iPad would be the 9th Generation iPad sold on Apple's Certified Refurbished website (there are plenty of keyboards available for this model as well on Amazon):

Refurbished iPad Wi-Fi 64GB - Silver (9th Generation) - Apple

Or if you want more storage:

Refurbished iPad Wi-Fi 256GB - Silver (9th Generation) - Apple

This iPad has repeatably been ranked highly by Consumer Reports and Amazon customers, and for good reason. I have had both the iPad Air M2 2024 and the iPad Pro M1. Both of these devices were overkill for me, so I eventually sold or returned them. For me, I didn't even use half of the 128GB of storage that these devices came with, so 64GB should be plenty for most circumstances. And I even was doing architectural projects and taking plenty of notes. Also, I used the iPad mini 3 on several occasions and it is remarkably capable!

If you feel like this won't cut it, that's fine. As a rock-solid alternative, the iPad 10th Generation may be the next best choice, or even a refurbished iPad Air M1 (a great laptop replacement):

Buy iPad 10.9-inch - Apple

Refurbished iPad Air Wi-Fi 64GB - Space Gray (5th Generation) - Apple

Bear in mind: while it may seem like, according to reviews and other people's impressions, that these iPads are not powerful or modern enough, it is very rare that you will be disappointed with your purchase. Whether you get an iPad 5th Generation or an iPad Pro 2024 M4, you will still get used to the device and you will have to find out how to use it as a tool in your workplace.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Have a nice day.

Oct 15, 2024 5:43 AM in response to Danielmak

To answer your question directly, you can use the Sidecar feature of macOS and iPadOS to use the iPad as an extended display of the MacMini.

Use an iPad as a second display for a Mac - Apple Support

At the bottom of the article you will find all the requirements for the Mac, iPad, iPadOS and macOS.

One thing to note is that you will still need a display to still be connected to the Mini and the Mini will need to be within 30 feet of the iPad.

So, there is no need to actually use the iPad as a direct replacement for the laptop.

The other thought, if you are mechanically inclined, is to find a way to package everything together in some case but that may be bulky. The other thing may be to package the display, keyboard, and pointing device and have a separate "tether " to the MacMini. Of course you would still need something to tote them all around with.

At the end of the day though, if you need a laptop you really need to buy a laptop. But, you can always buy pretty much any reasonably recent Apple laptop and just use Screen Sharing to the Mini.

Oct 20, 2024 4:02 AM in response to Danielmak

If all you need is an iPad to mirror your Mac screen in the same room, first check if your Mac Mini supports Sidecar here. If so, you can buy any supported model of iPad listed in the help article above that supports Sidecar to use as a remote monitor. You can find them fairly inexpensively on the used market (e.g. Craigslist, Kijiji). However, make sure there are no defects in the iPad and that the battery health is satisfactory before you buy it. Also, make sure the owner disables Find My and resets the iPad for you so that it boots up to a "hello" screen, otherwise there will be an Activation Lock, and the iPad will still "belong" to the old owner.

Oct 15, 2024 5:41 AM in response to Danielmak

Thanks for these replies.

I guess I wasn't totally clear. I already own the Mini. I already own the AOC monitor and have both wired and bluetooth options for a keyboard and mouse (although a mouse isn't good for sitting in a chair and working). The monitor connects to the mini via a USB-C. I'd like to find some kind of docking station or akin to what does work with an IPad/Zagg combo where i can use my AOC monitor with a keyboard/track pad combo that will work in my lap and not fall over. If that's not possible then I could go to an iPad (thanks @DesignPro22) as an alternative but prefer not to spend that much since I already have stuff.

Oct 20, 2024 11:28 AM in response to Danielmak

Danielmak wrote:

My laptop is on its last legs and I prefer to avoid purchasing another one.. .. want to be able to replicate the laptop experience (i.e., work in a chair with the keyboard/trackpad/monitor in my lap).

If you plan to replace a MacOS device with an ipad, you should make sure that the software you need is available from the ios app store, and that the ios version has the features you require. MacOS can use software from anywhere, iOS cannot.

Oct 20, 2024 12:02 PM in response to Danielmak

Thanks everyone for the various replies. I am going to look at one other option by tracking some 3D printing videos to see if there is a way to make a shell that I could insert the AOC monitor and a wired or wireless keyboard with a trackpad and then connect to that shell via USB-C. If that process won't work or is more expensive than the iPad/Zagg keyboard route then I know what to do with iPad/Zagg. The Mac mini is running the latest OS so all good on that front.

Thanks again.

[Edited by Moderator]

Replicate laptop experience with Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.