You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can only add credit/debit cards but cannot add travel cards to apple wallet in the UK (iPhone 12)

-iPhone12

-IOS18.1 (up-to-date)

-iCloud signed in, account was registered when I was in Hong Kong.

-iPhone bought in Hong Kong, but I now live in the UK.

I can add debit/credit cards but there is not an option for me to add travel cards like others. I am planning to add a Japan travel card.

iPhone 12, iOS 18

Posted on Oct 15, 2024 6:19 AM

11 replies

Oct 15, 2024 7:27 AM in response to Ryanmanhoo

Please follow this path,

iPhone > Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay > scroll down > Express Transit Card > Do you a payment method showing? What is selected?

Are you in one of these areas?

>>United Kingdom

• Arriva UK Bus. Accepts payment cards in the Wallet app.*
  • Brighton & Hove Buses. Accepts payment cards in Wallet app*.
  • First Bus Group. Accepts payment cards in the Wallet app*.
  • London: Transport for London (TfL). Accepts payment cards in the Wallet app*.
  • Metrobus. Accepts payment cards in Wallet app*.
  • Oxford Bus Company. Accepts payment cards in Wallet app*.

*Express Mode supported.<<

Oct 15, 2024 9:13 AM in response to Ryanmanhoo

That may not be possible in some instances. You probably have to change your region and add a payment method issued in that country to your Wallet.

For example, here are restrictions for Hong Kong and China.

>>

1. A Hong Kong-issued Visa, Mastercard, or UnionPay card that you use with Apple Pay is required to purchase or top up an Octopus card in the Wallet app. If you have a credit or debit card that isn't issued in Hong Kong, use the Octopus App for Tourists app instead. A China UnionPay credit or debit card is required to purchase or top up a transit card for China mainland.

1. In Hong Kong, your date of birth and Hong Kong ID are required for personalized Octopus cards and cards with Automatic Add Value Service (AAVS) turned on.<<

Add a transit card to Apple Wallet - Apple Support

Oct 15, 2024 7:40 AM in response to Jeff Donald

I am located in London.

My Express Travel Card is set to use one of my debit cards in my wallet. It is set by Wallet & Apple Pay > (tap on one of the cards) > set "Express Travel" option to "ON".

If I tap the travel cards section under the "Wallet & Apple Pay", I can change my express travel card to another card I have added. There is also no option to add cards there.

Oct 15, 2024 7:17 AM in response to Jeff Donald

My Apple ID is a Hong Kong ID, with payment methods linked to Hong Kong-issued credit cards.

In the Apple Wallet on my phone, UK-issued credit and debit cards were added without any issues.

I thought having a Hong Kong ID might be causing the problem, so I signed out of my Apple ID on the phone and signed in with a UK Apple ID, which is linked to a UK PayPal account as the payment method. However, the option to add travel cards still does not appear.

edit: after I signed in with a UK apple ID, I did not restart the phone though..

Can only add credit/debit cards but cannot add travel cards to apple wallet in the UK (iPhone 12)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.