You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Internal SSD mounting intermittently since OS Sonoma upgrade (MacPro 2019)

I have 2 large 8TB SSD PCIe NVMe drives inside my 2019 Cheesegrater MacPro (both are OWC Accelsior 4M2 PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe SSDs).

They've worked beautifully.

I do music production and am slow to upgrade my OS. I wait until I am between projects and make sure all my music hardware and software is compatible. I upgraded from OS 12 to OS 14.7 Sonoma a few weeks ago.

Since then, one of my internal SSD drives has had three occasions where it is not there when I start up. So far, if I shut down and restart, it has re-appeared. This scares the beejeesus out of me and I've checked that my backups are solid.

Drive #1 and the Mac Pro were purchased in Dec 2020, so 4 years old. Drive #2 is 1 year old. The drives were close to $2000 each and I guess I was expecting them to last longer than 4 years?

What should I do?

Thanks much

Mac Pro, macOS 14.7

Posted on Oct 15, 2024 8:00 AM

3 replies

Oct 15, 2024 5:18 PM in response to sempervirens

For anyone else looking for help, I got this reply from OWC:

"

Thank you for sending the SoftRAID report. I spent some time reviewing it and there is one thing that jumps out at me immediately. I see that you are currently running macOS Sonoma 14.7. macOS Sonoma had some bugs in it specific to NVMe drives connected to a Mac Pro via a PCI card. We published our findings and suggest that all Accelsior card owners upgrade to macOS Sequoia to resolve these issues. If you'd like to check out our article,

"

Some of my audio software isn't compatible with Sequoia yet so I'm a little stuck.

[Edited by Moderator]

Internal SSD mounting intermittently since OS Sonoma upgrade (MacPro 2019)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.