You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

going from Intel mac to new m3

I saw this using a google search but multiple articles said no:

Yes, Migration Assistant will automatically update your apps to native M3 apps when you transfer from an Intel Mac to a Mac M3

Will apps auto update as needed during this process or after or should this not be used?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 6:58 AM

7 replies

Oct 16, 2024 7:27 AM in response to rjzcap1

Building on previous good advise from @Phil0124

There are three categories / types of software that can run on the Operations System .

Some applications may require Rosetta 2 to interpret the Binaries coded into the applications

Only Intel Binary Code. This software will invoke Rosetta 2 to translate the Intel binaries so the operating system can understand and execute the Application. The Applications must be 64 Bit to function on Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura / Sonoma

Universal Binary Software.  It contains Both Intel and M1/ M2 / M3 ARMs binary code and refer to (  Universal 2 ) When the user installs a 64 bit Application that contains Both Intel and M1 / M2/ M3  ARMs binaries - depending on factors, the Operating System may or may not invoke Rosetta 2.

Apple Silicon “ Checking in System Information >> Applications  >> as of now, only see One Application classified as Apple Silicon and that is “ Rosetta 2 Updater “.

Example

Oct 16, 2024 7:17 AM in response to rjzcap1

Apps will not be updated to native versions at all.

For built-in Apple apps it will simply use the new versions of the apps that are built-in on the new Mac.

For third party apps, it may move the apps to the new Mac and use the Rosetta 2 translation layer to make them run seamlessly, but will not change the actual app in any way.

For other apps, that may not be compatible, or require an install process it will do nothing.

For updates, it will be dependent on the app developer. Compatible apps should receive updates normally and can be updated if there is an update available.

Oct 18, 2024 12:46 PM in response to rjzcap1

rjzcap1 wrote:

Ok thank you. So would migration not be recommended in this instance.

As you can see from the other replies, some apps can and will migrate over fine while others will not and have to be reinstalled. I think you have a better chance of migrating apps when both the "to" and "from" platform types are the same. You have Intel and Silicon, they are different. With Rosetta and Universal, etc. in some instances it will work, in others it will not. Also, you do not say if the MacOS is the same on your Intel versus Silicon computer. If the MacOS is different, that makes it a little less likely app migration will go smoothly.

Running Migration Assistant to/from Intel platforms, I used to just say "migrate everything" and frankly it generally worked fine. But now I am much more careful, I only migrate user accounts and files, nothing else. I reinstall all apps from scratch with the latest versions. I do know that Adobe applications and Microsoft Office programs have a much lower chance of migrating properly, you will most likely have to completely reinstall those.

Also, FYI, I migrated from an Intel MacBook Pro on Sonoma at work to a new M3 MacBook Pro (then on Sonoma also, the same version of Sonoma in fact). The migration was done by my employer's IT person and he said they NEVER migrate apps, they ALWAYS reinstall them from scratch. So that is from someone who spends all day doing these migrations.

going from Intel mac to new m3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.