You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Problem connecting old 2011 Apple thunderbolt 2 display to new Mac Mini M2 via USB c

I have two displays which were released in around 2011. The first has 3 usb connections at the back and a thunderbolt 2 wire to connect to a laptop, Mac etc. Obviously it’s old, so I have used a thunderbolt 2 to USB c adaptor to connect to the Mac mini - which is working fine.

The second display has a few more connections at the back, usb, ethernet, firewire 400, thunderbolt 2 (female), but it also has a thunderbolt 2 wire. When I connect that to the same usb c adaptor to the Mac mini, it doesn’t work. However, when I connect that same thunderbolt 2 directly into an old Mac Air (which has a female thunderbolt 2 connection) it works fine. 

Admittedly, the adaptor isn’t an official Apple adaptor, but it is working on the first display. Is that the problem?

Mac mini, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 9:35 AM

2 replies

Oct 16, 2024 9:57 PM in response to Alexgetsaround

The first display uses Mini DisplayPort, not Thunderbolt 2. The plugs are the same except for the lightning nolt icon on the Thunderbolt plug. The Thunderbolt 2 port on a Mac computer can also be used for Mini DisplayPort. Your USB-C adapter is for Mini DisplayPort only (no lightning bolt icon), and will not work with a Thunderbolt display.

You need the Apple adapter:

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

It will work with Thunderbolt only, not Mini DisplayPort, even though a Mini DisplayPort plug will fit.

Problem connecting old 2011 Apple thunderbolt 2 display to new Mac Mini M2 via USB c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.