You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Stray Lines when Writing on iPad Pro

I use an iPad Pro (11-inch) (2nd generation) and an Apple Pencil (A2051), mostly on Goodnotes 6. After a fireside accident, I had to have the screen replaced and the body of the iPad flattened and straightened. There are very very subtle shadows on the screen.

While writing my notes or annotating PDFs, the 'ink' goes glitchy, creating straight lines and dots at a rate of hundreds per second. It is hard to describe, so I have uploaded a video to show how the problem manifests itself, and a second video to show - using undo - how many lines get drawn in that time.

Is this a Pencil problem? Is this a screen problem? My first run at the Genius Bar was inconclusive.

Does the community have any thoughts?

iPad Pro, 18

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 9:49 AM

1 reply

Oct 16, 2024 10:08 AM in response to denisfromedmonton

Clearly with your iPad being "flattened and straightened" it wasn't repaired by Apple or an Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP). As such, the screen and any replaced components are likely to be aftermarket or components scavenged from other damaged devices.

It is perhaps unsurprising that the iPad is not operating/performing as expected. Apple are unlikely to assist with troubleshooting a device "repaired" by an independent repairer.

Stray Lines when Writing on iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.