You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple MIDI channel mapping over HDMI with Leawo BD player and DLP(Dirac Live Processor)

I am trying to build a mac-based A/V system, and got really confused with the behavior of a few S/W and macOS(CoreAudio?).

I finally made the Leawo S/W BD player play the 4K UHD on my Mac Mini M1(2020), but quickly got embarrassed that the HTP-1 connected to it plays audio with center and subwoofer swapped! I tried to change the speaker config of HTP-1, but no luck. Then I found that AppleMusic playing Atmos track also has them swapped, but changing speaker config got center and subwoofer unswapped. So I assumed Apple Music was doing the right thing to use the speaker config info for output channel mapping, but Leawo BD player was stupidly ignoring it. Email with Leawo support also strengthened my conviction. Leawo guy didn't seem to have any idea what speaker config is.

Then I thought that Dirac Live Processor which I was planning to install anyway could give me the remedy. Written by a renowned S/W company, it was likely to do the output channel mapping of HTP-1 at the HTP-1 speaker config correctly, so the channel swap issue for both player S/W would be resolved. I seem to prove wrong!

The Leawo player and Apple Music are set to play into DLP, and DLP output is set to HTP-1. Changing the speaker config at HTP-1 doesn't work for Leawo player, the same result, though it should impact DLP output channel mapping, not Leawo's. Weirdly enough, changing HTP-1 speaker config doesn't change Apple Music playback case, either!

So, I tried DL virtual device speaker config: it works only for Apple Music like earlier case of changing HTP-1 speaker config without DLP involved!. And unfortunately, this doesn't work either for Leawo!

I am very confused with these behaviors. Is my assumption wrong that the speaker config change of an output device is 'supposed' to impact the operation of a S/W outputting into it? How can these behaviors be explained, and the channel swap issue fixed?

Mac mini, macOS 14.2

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 1:46 PM

There are no replies.

Apple MIDI channel mapping over HDMI with Leawo BD player and DLP(Dirac Live Processor)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.