You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Converting itunes to Apple Music for Windows Laptop

I understand that itunes is being faded out. In fact I can no longer download songs from the iTunes Store. I have several concerns in making the jump to Apple Music but will start with the urgent ones.

1. I will not be subscribing to Apple Music. Just wish to keep cateloguing my 11,000 songs/playlists. I assume the songs / playlists will be automatically transferred to Apple Music.
  2. Once Apple Music is installed, will I be able to continue to use itunes to play music?
  3. More importantly, will I be able to continue to use itunes to make backups of my iPhone from my laptop or restore to a new iphone (not icloud)? In other words a complete backp of my phone to my windows laptop.
  4. When new purchases of songs are made through Apple Music iStore, will they also be available on itunes or only Apple Music?

Answers to the above may trigger other concerns.

Thank you

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 10:45 AM

5 replies

Oct 17, 2024 12:54 PM in response to ItunesToAppleMusic

1. When you install Apple Music for Windows on a computer with an existing iTunes library that library should be imported to Apple Music (the app), which is independent of the Apple Music subscription service.
  2. No. Installing any of Apple Music, Apple TV or Apple Devices for Windows cripples the existing iTunes installation such that any library only displays audiobook and podcast sections. The remaining content is still there but hidden. I do not recommend using Apple Music for Windows until there are positive benefits, iTunes still works fine for now. Not sure what your issue with the iTunes Store is. What build of iTunes is installed?
  3. No, Apple have provided a separate app, Apple Devices, which should(?) manage both syncing and backup. I haven't tested or even installed it. See Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support. Please note that backups do not include media or content that might otherwise be available in the cloud.
  4. New purchases should be attached to your Apple ID. Unhidden purchases should be visible in any iTunes or Apple Music library on a computer or Apple device where you are signed into your Apple ID.

tt2

Oct 17, 2024 1:35 PM in response to ItunesToAppleMusic

ItunesToAppleMusic wrote:

Thank you.
I currently have Version 12.13.3.2. (latest I believe). I called suport and they said that itunes no longer able to download songs. Not sure if he was 100% since he was confused on the issue.

He's wrong, as long as you don't install Apple Music, Apple TV, or Apple Devices iTunes to continue to function as it has done for years. If you install any of them iTunes becomes severely limited.

I believe ever since updating to this version, when in itunes Store, when I click on a download to purchase a song, itunes just freezes. No download ... nothing. Have to force itunes to exist with Task Manager.

Start by deleting the Download folder inside your iTunes Media folder. Press and hold Ctrl+Shift when you launch iTunes to see if opening it in its safe mode helps with your issue. It may also help to right-click the iTunes shortcut and use Run as Administrator. If you have any third party anti-virus product you may want to exclude the iTunes folder from real time scanning, along with the media folder if it is in a separate location. Failing that you might try uninstalling and then reinstalling iTunes. See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates - Apple Community.

In your replies ablove, there seems to be a contradiction in your answer to 1, where you indicated that itunes becomes crippled (unable to listen to music library) and yet in the answer to 4, you indicated that any purchases will be available on itunes.

Any purchases will be available in an iTunes library that isn't crippled by having Apple Music, Apple TV or Apple Devices on the same installation of Windows. I have access to multiple computers running different versions of iTunes and Apple Music (for Mac, I've installed the Windows version several times for testing but don't actively use it) along with an iPhone, iPad, Apple TVs and multiple HomePods. My unhidden purchases are available across all of the devices where they are compatible.

tt2

Oct 18, 2024 11:50 AM in response to ItunesToAppleMusic

You shouldn't put anything in the iTunes Downloads folder, that is a temporary space it uses to download purchases or Apple Music content.

Uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling it should leave the library exactly as it is. In the unlikely event that the library no longer contains the content and playlists that you expect see Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community. Backing up the database and media files to another location before making changes is a good move. See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy - Apple Community for a suggested strategy.

tt2

Oct 17, 2024 1:08 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you.

I currently have Version 12.13.3.2. (latest I believe). I called suport and they said that itunes no longer able to download songs. Not sure if he was 100% since he was confused on the issue.

I believe ever since updating to this version, when in itunes Store, when I click on a download to purchase a song, itunes just freezes. No download ... nothing. Have to force itunes to exist with Task Manager.

In your replies ablove, there seems to be a contradiction in your answer to 1, where you indicated that itunes becomes crippled (unable to listen to music library) and yet in the answer to 4, you indicated that any purchases will be available on itunes.

Oct 18, 2024 10:56 AM in response to turingtest2

Tried all your suggestions with the exceptioon of uninstalling and reinstall.

I have recent backups of the 4 files in the download folder (itunes Library extras, Sentinel , iTunes Library and itunes Music library). Could any of these files be corrupt or do any have any link to downloaded music?

I usually make these backuos on external drive every time I add music to itines. is it worth a try to copy these 4 files and replace existing.

In the event I reinstall itunes, will I lose aything? (playlists, song counts, ratings etc...).

Thanks again

Converting itunes to Apple Music for Windows Laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.