You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Stop Mail app from triggering open when clicking emails

Every time I need to copy an email address from my excel sheet, it automatically opens up the Mac Mail app then because I don't use it, I have to press to cancel it and close several windows, sometimes making several attempts to copy the email from Excel. This is such a source of frustration and time waster. What do to? Oh, by the way purchased my new MacBook Air today so hope I can nip this in the bud.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 1:42 PM

1 reply

Oct 17, 2024 2:20 PM in response to Earthmate

Excel makes email and web addresses clickable links by default. For existing cells with links, you can select the cell and then Command-K and click the remove link button at the bottom left. To keep it from happening, you can go to Excel menu > Preferences > Autocorrect and untick the first option:

If you want to keep the links but use them to open a new email in Outlook (or something else) instead of the Apple Mail app, set a new default email client:

Change the default web browser or email app on Mac - Apple Support

Stop Mail app from triggering open when clicking emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.