You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iMac 2019 external monitor is blurry

I recently bought an Asus monitor PA248CRV to use as an extended display with my iMac, Retina 5K, 27 inch 2019. The image and the text on the Asus is slightly larger and blurry, and I cannot figure out if it's possible to fix this blurriness. I have tested with a HDMI and USB-C. The resolution on the Asus is set to default 1920 x 1200. Is there a solution to fix the blurriness on the ASUS? If not, what type of specs or resolution do I need to buy in an external monitor to avoid this blurriness? Thank you

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 1:48 PM

4 replies

Oct 17, 2024 5:11 PM in response to Lanteay

The Asus PA248CRV is a 24.1" monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200 pixels. It has about 94 PPI.

Your 27" 5K Retina iMac has a resolution of 5120x2880 pixels, and about 218 PPI. You are probably running it in Retina "looks like 2560x1440" mode. So in terms of physical text and object sizes, it would be "as if" you had an actual 27" 2560x1440 monitor with 109 PPI. But the Mac would draw the letter shapes with the greater precision that a 5120x2880 canvas affords.

Text is a little bit larger on the Asus monitor because 94 PPI < 108 PPI – and sizing is tied directly, or indirectly, to pixel counts.

Text is better-looking on the iMac for two reasons:

• The iMac has much higher PPI – and is using 4x as many pixels (2x as many horizontally, 2x as many vertically) when it draws each letter shape. This allows more accurate font rendering.
  • Macs once used a special trick ("sub-pixel anti-aliasing") to make text look good on monitors that have regular PPIs (like your Asus monitor, or the old 27" 2.5K iMac monitors). My understanding is that this trick was rather messy and non-modular from a software maintenance perspective, and that Apple removed support for it from macOS several versions ago. So if your 2019 iMac is anywhere close to being up-to-date, it probably does not render text on a monitor like that Asus as well as an old Mac running a much older OS would have.

Oct 17, 2024 5:41 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Servant of Cats wrote:

I know of only a few monitors that have PPIs similar to those of your Mac.

Next step down would be a 27" 4K (3840x2160 pixel) monitor.

That combination of resolution and diagonal size works out to about 163 PPI. If you run such a monitor in Retina "like 2560x1440" mode, the picture will not be as sharp as on a 27" 5K Retina iMac or on a 27" 5K Apple Studio Display, but there will still be some gains from the increased PPI (relative to a 27" 2.5K monitor).

iMac 2019 external monitor is blurry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.