You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Create a virtual machine with my hard disk, containing my operating system

Good morning everyone.

I had a 2011 mac that decided, after an update with ssd and ram update, to stop working.

I had the photo library, so I decided to recover them by buying a second-hand one.

After a while, that one broke too.

Now I would like to continue to manage my iphoto photos with the same system, but I would like to create a virtual machine with my hdd.

Is it possible?

Alternatively, how could I get the iso to create a virtual machine and use it to manage my photos?

thanks

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 3:31 AM

7 replies

Oct 19, 2024 5:24 PM in response to slonan

No, BDAqua is correct. Apple allows macOS to run in VMs whose host is an Apple computer running macOS as teh Host OS. It doesn't allow for macOS guests on non-Apple hosts.

VMWare likely won't even allow you to try and run a macOS ISO installer. For something like VirtualBox, not sure if the application will prevent an attempt, but they won't provide any support, and the virtualized HW will very likely fail to complete an installation.

Oct 18, 2024 7:14 AM in response to slonan

Now I would like to continue to manage my iphoto photos with the same system, but I would like to create a virtual machine with my hdd.
Is it possible?

Why do you want to manage your precious photos with an obsolete OS and app?

Yes, you could use apps like VMware Fusion (free for personal use) in Sequoia to run old OS X like Snow Leopard Server 10.6 and some old iPhoto library. But why?

Create a virtual machine with my hard disk, containing my operating system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.