You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

in the activity monitor what is “applicationsstorageextension”?

Why is ApplicationsStorageExtension taking up so much cpu time

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.7

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 5:42 AM

3 replies

Oct 18, 2024 6:00 AM in response to Lee302

Do you have the Setting open to calculate your Mac storage. I believe the setting for you would be at  > System Settings > General > Storage. When you open this setting, applicationsstorageextension will start using CPU cycles to calculate the storage amount for all apps. Once it is done calculating the storage, then normally the process will stop using the CPU and remain idle.

If it seems stuck and fails to calculate the storage for each app, then try starting up in Safe Mode and compare the results:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If Safe Mode resolves the problem, then restart again normally to see if it comes back. If it does come back, then that would indicate you have an application that is running in the background that is conflicting with the process. The best way to determine what that could be is to post the free EtreCheck report using the Additional Text option when posting. The report contains no personal information. It may also be used to identify a hardware problem with your HD that is slowing the process down.

How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Oct 18, 2024 6:53 AM in response to Lee302

ApplicationsStorageExtension is using a lot of CPU time, sometimes enough to make the fan on this computer run continuously. This is a 4.2GHz quad core i7 computer with 64GB of RAM. Running Ventura 13.7. I can see its CPU usage in the Activity Monitor, doesn’t seem to get relief when I exit the Activity Monitor. From Activity Monitor can also see that Physical Memory: 64 GB; Memory Used: 47.69; Cached Files: 16.13; Swap Used: 2.8 GB.

in the activity monitor what is “applicationsstorageextension”?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.