You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Can't create or delete new playlists on Apple Music

MacBook Pro

13-inch, M2, 2022

macOS Sequoia 15.0.1

Hi, I have tried figuring this issue out with a tech assistant online but we just went around in a big circle and nothing was resolved. I was instructed to make a test user account and try using the Apple music app on there, but I couldn't do anything since none of my music files were in this test user library. I am really troubled by this. It seems like it should be easy to fix and I don't want to have to bring my laptop into the store. I can still play music on my laptop fine and my other playlists still work. But I can't delete them or add a new playlist.

Other details: I do not use icloud, none of my apps are synced to icloud. I only play music from my folder, I don't use the itunes music subscription or anything. It's all just straight from my library, files I've collected over many years.

If anyone has a solution I'd be so grateful, thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 9:29 AM

3 replies

Oct 19, 2024 10:07 AM in response to fromanorthernplace

Trying with a new user is actually an informative test. Try copying a few (even one) of your music files to an external drive, or place them in a shared folder on your Mac. Then try Apple Music with the new vanilla user, see if creating a playlist works or doesn't work with those music files. If it works, your user account has an issue, which people here can help track down. If the new user cannot create a playlist either, then there is a system wide issue.

Suggest also that you download the free Etrecheck and run it to generate a report (which reveals no identifying info about you, you can check that directly) and post its output here using the Additional text button below. There may be something installed that is interfering, or is incompatible with Sequoia.

Can't create or delete new playlists on Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.