You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Applications taking up most of my storage, but I don't have that many applications?

My mac keeps saying I'm running out of storage. When I go to system settings and check my storage, it says 248 GB of 250 are being used for applications (see photo). But when I click info, the biggest application I have is less than 3 GB, and I don't have very many apps. I checked Activity Monitor (also in photo) and it says Zotero is taking up the most memory...but only 5.83 GB. How do I clear out storage space and make my computer usable again?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 12:10 PM

2 replies

Oct 20, 2024 2:06 AM in response to gg_rs

It is generally a good computer practice to alway keep at least 20% to 25% of the Total Drive Capacity’s as Empty Space.

Allowing the computer to drop below these guidelines may eventually cause unintended consequences such as the Alert it has already presented.

There is Purgeable Space and there is Empty Space.

They are Not one and the same thing

Purgeable Space which is Controlled by the Operating System.

When the Operating Systems decides the computer needs additional Empty Space, it will move a portion of the Purgeable to Empty space

AFAIK - there is no User Actions to hasten this transition from Purgeable to Empty Space

It can day or longer before this will occur.

The links below will help in identifying what is taking up space on the Internal Drive.

It will also provide possible ways to remove data that is under the direct control of the User ( Home Folder )

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac.  

Often caused if the Time Machine Drive has not been attached  to the computer and TM Backup is set to run on a Schedule. 

TM Backup will make Snap Shots on the Internal Drive awaiting the TM Backup Drive to be attached. 

Only then,  will the Snaps Shots be transferred to the External Drive.

View APFS snapshots in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If there a Suite of Adobe Applications  used on this computer ?

They may create some very large cache files that can be removed. Though, the Adobe cache files will be recreated as the Applications needs them.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/premiere-pro/kb/clear-cache.html

The same clearing of System Cache files can be achieved by booting into Safe Mode

They will be recreated as the System Requires 

Applications taking up most of my storage, but I don't have that many applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.