You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I cannot delete my own folder

Using Sequoia 15.0.1 with my MacBook Air 2020 M1, I wish to delete a folder for an old project. I have copied that folder to an external disk, and now I am ready to delete that whole folder from my internal SSD drive. I tried:

Selected the folder, ⌘-delete. "Are you sure...", clicked "Delete".

-> "The operation can’t be completed because some items had to be skipped..."

Selected one item in the folder (a PDF file) , ⌘-delete. "Are you sure...", clicked "Delete".

->"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."

Get Info (⌘-I). "Locked" was UNchecked. Permissions are:

gil (Me) Read & Write

staff Read only

everyone Read only

Clicked on the lock icon. "Finder want to change permissions..."

Entered password. The lock opened.

Tried to change "everyone" to "Read & Write".

->"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission."

Tried to change "staff" to "Read & Write".

->"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have the necessary permission."

Tried to change "gil (Me)" to "Read only".

This is my machine and I created that folder and the files within it. No one else should have permission to mess with my files. What do I have to do to assert my ownership and delete this old folder?

--Gil

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 12:48 PM

3 replies

Oct 19, 2024 2:00 PM in response to Gil Dawson

Try it wilst booted into Safe Mode...

Start with this if M1, M2, or M3 Mac...

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.

Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.

Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.

Select a volume.

Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.

The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Does the problem occur in Safe Mode? 

I cannot delete my own folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.