You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Text notifications not showing name or number

I am copying this previously asked question as the answer was not a solution.

Here is the previously stated issue that I am also experiencing:

“I can't get my text notifications to show me a name or number. It's just showing that I have a message notification. I have done a lot of the tips shows in other similar questions. Below are are what I've done to try to remedy the problem

Settings>Messages>MMS Messaging. Turn it off and then turn it on again.

Settings > Contacts > Short Name and then turned the Short Name in this menu off

Editing a Contact and turning phone on then off.

Turn imessage off reset and then turned it on.

Restarted phone after making sure messages was closed.

I haven't changed any setting before this issue started.”

The answer to this was to change previews on text messages to “always on”… That does show my contact, and fixes the “issue”, but now anyone can read my messages without even needing to unlock my phone!

Nobody wants someone else to read the first few sentences or full private text message.

Please change this forced feature back to it was before where the contact can be displayed and simply say “iMessage” or “message” below it. I know it doesn’t matter and I am just one, but I will be leaving iPhone if this isn't changed back to how it has always been!

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 5:57 PM

1 reply

Text notifications not showing name or number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.