You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Reinstalling Lion (or other) on a 2011 MacBook Air

I have a mid 2011 MacBook Air that I was running High Sierra on (the highest I could update to), I wanted to give it to my sister, as her iMac died, but when I went to reinstall to wipe my data off I found I could not reinstall Lion. I know I did just that about four years ago when I bought an OWC 500 GB SSD for that purpose. Apple has since discontinued Lion. However, you can still download a Lion .dmg from Apple. When I opened it, however, an error read that I could not install without a certificate. Does anyone know how I can get a certificate? Do Third Party vendors sell Lion installers on Flash drives? There is no DVD player so onlne or flash is the only way to go. Also, I have to start with Lion before I can work back up to High Sierra (or maybe El Capitan is fine for her purposes). Could I possibly install Ubuntu or some other Linux?

I have M1 and M3 Macs now, so I don't need the machine. Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 6:42 PM

1 reply

Oct 19, 2024 8:05 PM in response to bluetortilla

Boot Recovery using Option-Command-R to load the latest supported macOS version for the Mac.

…this should load macOS 10.13.

If you cannot get that Recovery path to load macOS 10.13, then create a macOS 10.13 installer on another Mac, and transfer that installer to and boot that installer on the to-be-transferred Mac:

Do not start up the newly-installed Mac past the “Hello, Welcome to Mac” stuff.

Also, relinquish your ownership using the if-you-no-longer-have-your-Mac path here:

Reinstalling Lion (or other) on a 2011 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.