You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Alternatives to Router?

A router bought a few years ago no longer functions. Since only I use internet, I’m considering if (instead of buying another router),

an Ethernet switch with some adapters(s) would be a better solution to enable internet access to iPhone & iPads, ROKU streaming stick/media player, HP based laptop, and rare access by desktop computer (all are older models).

I read a discussion thread with answers written in 2017-2018, but realize available equipment solutions may have changed by 2024. Thank you.

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 10:00 PM

2 replies

Oct 20, 2024 6:53 AM in response to BestWishes4U

Since only I use internet, I’m considering if (instead of buying another router),

an Ethernet switch with some adapters(s)

What type of "adapter(s) are you thinking about?

An Ethernet switch will not have Internet access unless you have a modem/router ahead of the device to connect to an Internet service provider.

And, if you have that, most modem/routers provide 4 Ethernet ports which function as a switch, so the only reason to add another switch would be if you need more Ethernet ports.

Alternatives to Router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.