You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

using a Mac 101

I have two macs, a slowly becoming obsolete 27" and a 24". On the latter, my magic mouse has stopped working. I have tried the mouse from the former but no joy. numerous threads suggest turning wifi off and back on but to do that I would appear to need my mouse working...Catch 22..

How can I switch into settings, between open windows etc, without a mouse?

iMac 24″

Posted on Oct 20, 2024 7:16 AM

12 replies

Oct 20, 2024 8:46 AM in response to Tablespider

When you said you have an obsolete 24" iMac, I assumed it was an older model.

Connect your Apple Wireless keyboard and mouse to the 24" iMac using the supplied charging cables.

see > If you can't connect your Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, or Magic Trackpad to your Mac - Apple Support

To connect other USB-A devices to a 24" Silicone iMac you need a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

For the Apple USB-C to USB adapter,

see > About the Apple USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple Support

For aftermarket solutions,

see > https://www.target.com/p/philips-usb-c-to-3-0-usb-a-female-adapter/-/A-79804275

and > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z768LCW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?

Oct 20, 2024 9:39 AM in response to Tablespider

Most settings are in System Settings which you likely will find in the Dock. However if for some reason System Settings are NOT in the Dock then use Spotlight (the magnifying glass symbol in the upper right of the display) to search for System Settings. If you like keyboard shortcuts then the shortcut for Spotlight is Command + Spacebar and type System Settings. This is useful for launching ANY app or finding any files. If you haven't used Spotlight before please refer to https://education.apple.com/learning-center/T024584A-en_US

Oct 20, 2024 10:26 AM in response to Tablespider

Tablespider wrote:

Again, great idea, but how do I get there without a mouse to choose the options?

If you have an Apple Magic keyboard and mouse, connect those to the 24" iMac using the supplied charging cables.

see > If you can't connect your Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, or Magic Trackpad to your Mac - Apple Support

If not, then you will need to use a standard USB keyboard and mouse connected to the 24" iMac using one of the adapters that I suggested above.

Oct 20, 2024 11:56 AM in response to Tablespider

If you have an old-style Magic Mouse that takes AA batteries, and has no Lightning port, see this article for pairing instructions.

Set up your Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, or Magic Trackpad with your Mac - Apple Support

You may need to have a USB mouse (or a wireless mouse that uses a proprietary USB receiver) on hand to follow these steps and get the Magic Mouse paired to the newer computer.

Oct 20, 2024 8:45 AM in response to Tablespider

Tablespider,

The latest 24" does have USB ports, they are simply USB C which is the most up-to-date version of USB. What you are likely referring to is they do not have USB A or USB B ports. This is NOT a problem if you have older devices (which most of us do) that only have USB A or B ports, you simply need a plug adapter (Amazon my friend) which only cost about $7 for several adapters. Below is an example link:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Thunderbolt-Converter-MacBook-Samsung/dp/B0BJ8YQ2LM/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=16OH7CKI6ZTGC&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.1tbCd79Xd8YakfyKHMt3HGRCoYTJYYskyYEkBT0JAH8kdjeTZc4kF2blSqTWLbKPBSEvESdUqQf9VLRsm_iUc8hYPQqAB-drRhn0Qa76VmektA8n5qxhAavpgvcVEmc6eBBewVDrE2gUIEFl4y9EYccLvQnSkNepzYOJoeMpvky_9qeEwcsOE5f9rlxJH84fzTh8BtmTrtAiPaxfjvXmzTXSKrG2zuZmx2iyESHAThE.0O8eiElf5bXLrgu47oA9zvkRZbfioMrQHdRk5rQIhfc&dib_tag=se&keywords=usb%2Bto%2Busb%2Bc%2Badapter&qid=1729439061&sprefix=usb%2Bto%2Busb%2Bc%2B%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

To find exactly what you want just search on Amazon for USB to USB C adapter and you will eventually find exactly what you are looking for.

Oct 20, 2024 8:50 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Your point is well made and i thank you. I should have said it only has Thunderbolt or Lightening connections. My Bad..

However, the original question was how do I navigate to settings, if I don't have the use of a mouse, given that I have a "magic keyboard" too... I could then at least check settings and reset to see if that might help... Or any other advice.

I don't have a trackpad either... Adaptors is a good idea and I'll pursue for the future but it won't help my zoom course I have all day tomorrow...

using a Mac 101

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.