You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Waiting for printer to become available"

Running Mac OS 10.14.4, my HP 1012 has suddenly become unresponsive -- shows up on my rebuilt printer list, goes through the motions of printing, but nothing actually happens. The print monitor on the Mac says printing, gets to 26%, and then the "Waiting for printer to become available" message appears.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 8, 2019 9:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2019 11:23 AM

This is a USB attached inkjet printer, yes? I'd turn the printer off and back on. Check the cables. Scream at it and try a simple test page like "hello". If that fails, open the Printer & Scanners tab of System Preferences and delete the printer. Then reselect it. Now try the scream at it and print a simple test page. (Screaming is optional, obviously, but it usually makes me feel better while I'm troubleshooting stupid printer tricks)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2019 11:23 AM in response to Schrek343

This is a USB attached inkjet printer, yes? I'd turn the printer off and back on. Check the cables. Scream at it and try a simple test page like "hello". If that fails, open the Printer & Scanners tab of System Preferences and delete the printer. Then reselect it. Now try the scream at it and print a simple test page. (Screaming is optional, obviously, but it usually makes me feel better while I'm troubleshooting stupid printer tricks)

"Waiting for printer to become available"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.