You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location of my computer.

When I am using my MP 5.1 to search for things on the internet I get hits that assume I am in a town about 75 miles away. For example if I am searching for a Toyota Camry I get suggestions for a town that is 75 miles away. I have to go in and change the zip code to get local information.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 18, 2019 3:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2019 3:47 PM

See if any of the following articles can help:

2 replies

Jun 18, 2019 5:16 PM in response to Bob1177

Do you have a Wi-Fi Router on your local Network? If you do, you may get better location data by turning on Wi-Fi and using the gear below the list of Interfaces to "Set Service Order" to make Wi-Fi SECOND (with your regular Ethernet first).

This will give you an additional Wi-Fi address, but it will also allow your Mac to figure out exactly where you are.

My Story: I live in the woods, just a little too far off the street for drivers or neighbors to "see" my Wi-Fi signals. For months, None of the devices knew the proper location. No one in the house had an iPhone.

Then we had a party, and invited lots of friends, many of whom had iPhones, and they were here for hours. After they left, I noticed that my computers now knew EXACTLY where each Router was, and they were separated in space by about the actual distances involved.

The iPhones had reported the network locations of each Router (I have three), and since there were multiple reports, it was corroborated data and was entered in some database on the web. So my Routers "knew where they were" indirectly.

Location of my computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.