You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Obsolete Macbook pro? Mid 2012

I have a Macbook pro 15 inch mid 2012 i7 2.3ghz paired with an SSD and 16GB or RAM, honestly i really love the performance of this laptop and the build quality, you just can't beat it. I just saw a list of obsolete version, my question is; even tho Apple doesn't support any hardware coverage can i still have all of my upgrades done? on OS? like will i be able to always update my software versions? and be able to access the store and everything?

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 9:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2019 10:05 AM

"Obsolete" Hardware means Apple no longer has parts available to complete its standard 'repair by replacement' repairs in most localities.

Used major sub-assemblies and third-party repairs are still available using used parts from Macs that died for reasons different from yours. Example: You broke the screen. A replacement screen from a Mac with a deadly liquid-spill is available. (OR the reverse)

--------

MacOS support is done completely separately, based on a completely different decision-making process. At this writing, Apple has indicated your 2012 MacBook Pro is supported for the upcoming MacOS, Catalina, to be released in the Fall of this year.

Apple has generally continued to supply Security Updates for the current MacOS and the two preceding major versions, but they are under no obligation to continue to do so.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 30, 2019 10:05 AM in response to JoeySalomon

"Obsolete" Hardware means Apple no longer has parts available to complete its standard 'repair by replacement' repairs in most localities.

Used major sub-assemblies and third-party repairs are still available using used parts from Macs that died for reasons different from yours. Example: You broke the screen. A replacement screen from a Mac with a deadly liquid-spill is available. (OR the reverse)

--------

MacOS support is done completely separately, based on a completely different decision-making process. At this writing, Apple has indicated your 2012 MacBook Pro is supported for the upcoming MacOS, Catalina, to be released in the Fall of this year.

Apple has generally continued to supply Security Updates for the current MacOS and the two preceding major versions, but they are under no obligation to continue to do so.

Obsolete Macbook pro? Mid 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.