You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2012 imac beachball - EtreCheck Report Included

Seeking path forward to frustration of beach balling on late 2012 iMac with 8 GB RAM. Went to authorized Apple dealer to get RAM upgrade, but was quoted $500+. Might as well invest in new iMac-- but is everyone else having performance issues 7 years into it? We are doing basic stuff on this machine. Seeking cheapest solution out of the performance problem. What does the report below tell us? Note the long list of entries under Network: Interface usbmodem3194: Љ 518 (example).

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 3:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 2:29 AM

Allan:

Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to do the analysis and for the recommendation. I've studied some of the install videos at macsales.com and I'm inclined to go ahead with doing an internal SSD swap on my own-- it seems to be the least expensive option. The 1 GB Mercury Electra 6G SSD is about $130 and the service kit is $28. Access to the RAM is much more difficult and I'd like to avoid that. Do you think continuing with the 8GB of RAM will be fine or should I try to upgrade that while I'm in there?

Thanks again. Marcus

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 12, 2019 2:29 AM in response to Allan Jones

Allan:

Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to do the analysis and for the recommendation. I've studied some of the install videos at macsales.com and I'm inclined to go ahead with doing an internal SSD swap on my own-- it seems to be the least expensive option. The 1 GB Mercury Electra 6G SSD is about $130 and the service kit is $28. Access to the RAM is much more difficult and I'd like to avoid that. Do you think continuing with the 8GB of RAM will be fine or should I try to upgrade that while I'm in there?

Thanks again. Marcus

Jul 11, 2019 7:15 AM in response to unsupervised_00

You do not have a RAM problem. When "swaps" are zero, the computer had adequate RAM at the time of the test.

You have a hard drive issue shared by most owners of 21.5 inch iMacs since 2011 who do not opt for a faster storage option when ordering their computer:

Drives:
disk0 - APPLE HDD ST1000LM024 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 5400 RPM)
Internal SATA 3 Gigabit Serial ATA

For years Apple have installed slow 5400rpm, 3GBps mechanical drives in computers with fast 6GBps drive buses. That is a bottleneck. This makes startup and app launches slow, but other functions are fine.

As opening any iMac made after 2011 is very hard--the case is glued together--replacing the original drive with a faster mech drive or, better yet, a solid state drive, is very labor-intensive and therefore expensive. Many users have come up with a home-build work-about that helps.

They use a fast external USB drive to hold the system and most of the apps and set it as the boot volume. This requires:

• A USB3 external drive rated for SATA 6GBps speeds.
    • A solid state drive (SSD) rated for SATA 6GBps speed.

You can't be sure you are getting these speeds from "name-brand" drives at the office superstore because they are not forthcoming about all the specs you need to know. Those drive are also built to go on sale every weekend, not for robust performance. Building from new parts (one USB3 external empty drive enclosure and one bare 6GBps drive) is super-easy and you know what you get.

Once the new drive is formatted (Disk Utility) and attached, you use cloning software to transfer the entire content of your current hard drive to the external one. I prefer Carbon Copy Cloner because it handles recreating the important factory-installed troubleshooting partitions without hassle. Then you use System Preferences > Startup Disk to set the external as your boot partition.

Why this works: You current set up can read/write data no faster than 3GBps, and a mech drive has low read/write speeds. These are your current r/w speeds from the report:

Write speed: 77 MB/s

Read speed: 78 MB/s

An external USB3 drive has a max transfer rate of up to 5GBps and the SSD reads and writes much faster than a mech drive. You should see your transfer rates go up by a factor of 5-7X. Real speeds in the vicinity of 400MBps should be attainable.

The original drive can stay where is it for extra storage.

Other than that, the EtreCheck report looks fairly clean but, again, you have a drive issue, not a RAM issue.

Late 2012 imac beachball - EtreCheck Report Included

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.