You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change from 32bit to 64bit

Not exactly sure what that means but will my current apps work if I make the change?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 3:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 4:14 PM

This is what Apple says about this: 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Fairly complete FAQ

https://support.apple.com/HT208436

4 replies

Jul 13, 2019 4:12 PM in response to Christi2844

Most apps were updated to 64 bit long ago but you may have some that have not. You can check by going to Apple menu > About this Mac > System Report > Software - Applications and look in the 64-bit column there.

If you have some where it says "No" in the 64-bit column, it is likely that the developer has an updated version available, although there may be a fee.

Jul 13, 2019 4:37 PM in response to Christi2844

Christi2844 Said:

...will my current apps work if I make the change?

Request a New Installation File:

FWIW, just contact the software developer, and ask if you can do a swap out for the software type (32- or 64-Bit). It would be the call of the developer as to whether or not you can swap out the drivers.

License Keys and Devices:

Most software nowadays that is not freeware would provide you with a license key card, and the license key would be valid for only a certain number of devices (Typically 1, 3, or 5 devices).

change from 32bit to 64bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.