You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an older version ipad that is password locked.

looking for the way to put an old ipad into recovery mode so we can reset the forgotten password. The notes Ive read on here are not working ( probably as this is an older version ipad)

iPad 2

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 3:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 3:49 PM

OK........first make sure you are running the absolute latest version of iTunes (v12.9.x) on your computer.

Then EXACTLY follow the directions in this link (it can sometimes take a few tries): If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

If you find you are absolutely unable to make this work, schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for assistance, but be advised YOU MUST KNOW YOUR APPLE ID and PASSWORD.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 18, 2019 3:49 PM in response to louconfait

OK........first make sure you are running the absolute latest version of iTunes (v12.9.x) on your computer.

Then EXACTLY follow the directions in this link (it can sometimes take a few tries): If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support

If you find you are absolutely unable to make this work, schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for assistance, but be advised YOU MUST KNOW YOUR APPLE ID and PASSWORD.

Jul 18, 2019 4:20 PM in response to louconfait

Follow the link from rbrylawki.

I've done this before when my mother forgot the passcode on a new iPad she bought and she couldn't remember what passcode/passwords she used. I got it to recover both without an Apple ID set up and with an Apple ID set up. Once an Apple ID is linked to the device it won't complete recovery mode without a proper verification of the Apple ID and its password. Without an Apple ID, no password is needed. If you don't remember your password but can access the email address of the Apple ID then you can get that password reset and use the new password to get it into recovery mode.

Good luck.

I have an older version ipad that is password locked.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.