You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having 2 separate Apple IDs

Can I create an extra and separate Apple ID for my other email account? I want to have a separate Apple ID for both of my emails

iPhone XR

Posted on Jul 26, 2019 5:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2019 5:53 PM

You can make as many AppleIDs as you wish or have emails to do so. Note that they cannot share any data, cannot be merged and cannot be used with any service on any ios or MacOS device (iCloud, FaceTime, iMessage) at the same time. For example, if you change your AppleID on an iOS device in the App Store, you cannot change it again for 90 days (View and remove your associated devices in iTunes - Apple Support) so you cannot swap AppleIDs at will in the iTunes, App, iBook or Mac stores.

You also cannot use one as a backup for the other if both are used as the primary email address for an AppleID.

Note too that if you use your own email for your AppleID, and you use that AppleID to create an iCloud account, the icloud email you made (xxx@icloud.com address) is also automatically an AppleID as well.

I do know some people who use two - one with payment method attached for use in the iTunes, App, iBook, and MacOS stores, and another with no payment for iCloud, FaceTime, iMessage and other Apple services.

Regardless of how many AppleIDs you have, it is always recommended that each have a backup email address registered with it in case you lose access to the primary email address. So perhaps consider getting a free hotmail, or gmail, or yahoo, or whatever account to use as a backup email address too.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 26, 2019 5:53 PM in response to Corinne1692

You can make as many AppleIDs as you wish or have emails to do so. Note that they cannot share any data, cannot be merged and cannot be used with any service on any ios or MacOS device (iCloud, FaceTime, iMessage) at the same time. For example, if you change your AppleID on an iOS device in the App Store, you cannot change it again for 90 days (View and remove your associated devices in iTunes - Apple Support) so you cannot swap AppleIDs at will in the iTunes, App, iBook or Mac stores.

You also cannot use one as a backup for the other if both are used as the primary email address for an AppleID.

Note too that if you use your own email for your AppleID, and you use that AppleID to create an iCloud account, the icloud email you made (xxx@icloud.com address) is also automatically an AppleID as well.

I do know some people who use two - one with payment method attached for use in the iTunes, App, iBook, and MacOS stores, and another with no payment for iCloud, FaceTime, iMessage and other Apple services.

Regardless of how many AppleIDs you have, it is always recommended that each have a backup email address registered with it in case you lose access to the primary email address. So perhaps consider getting a free hotmail, or gmail, or yahoo, or whatever account to use as a backup email address too.

Having 2 separate Apple IDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.