You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new mac mini for FCPX?

Looking to purchase a new (2018) Mac Mini. What would be a good configuration for light (nonprofessional) use of FCPX? Editing family and hobby videos mostly. Currently using an early 2015 Macbook Pro I7/16/512 with an external Thunderbolt drive which has worked well. Thanks!

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jul 28, 2019 8:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2019 9:51 AM

I recently got Mac mini 2018, 6-core i7, 16GB, 1TB with LG Ultrafine 23.5" Thunderbolt 3 display. I also got OWC dual drive Thunderbolt 3 dock for archives to replace the old Firewire docks (they worked with adapters but the dual dock makes life easier).

I am happy with it (it runs FCP a lot faster than my old Mac mini late 2009 -- no need to optimize media anymore...).

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 2, 2019 9:51 AM in response to Don Wolford

I recently got Mac mini 2018, 6-core i7, 16GB, 1TB with LG Ultrafine 23.5" Thunderbolt 3 display. I also got OWC dual drive Thunderbolt 3 dock for archives to replace the old Firewire docks (they worked with adapters but the dual dock makes life easier).

I am happy with it (it runs FCP a lot faster than my old Mac mini late 2009 -- no need to optimize media anymore...).

Aug 2, 2019 12:10 PM in response to Don Wolford

A correction: it is the USB-C (USB3.1 gen2) Dual Drive Bay dock. I connect it to Mac mini's Thunderbolt USB-C connector (I try to study and use the correct USB-C / Thunderbolt nomeclature but it is still messy...). But I do like them because it has greatly reduced the rat's nest of wires under my desk.

I got the fastest CPU because I do photos and video and just to be future proof (I tend to buy expensive and use the gear for a long time).

I got 16 GB RAM because some reports suggested 8 GB might not be enough for smooth display. I have experience installing RAM and storage so I could have saved some money by installing cheaper RAM myself but some cheap suboptimal RAM might produce obscure errors so I didn't do it on such a new Mac, maybe later.

I got 1 TB HD because according to MacInTouch forum that is faster than smaller drives (*) and I do video work that needs HD space.

(*) Sequential write performance between the SSD sizes in the Mini:

128GB -> ~0.6 GB/s

256GB -> ~1.3 GB/s

512GB -> ~1.9 GB/s

1TB -> ~2.6 GB/s

Reads are all > 2 GB/s.

I also got 10 Gigabit Ethernet option although I might never need that. That might be useful when moving large video files between computers although currently I use HD docks for that.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TCDRVDCK/

new mac mini for FCPX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.