You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Player to run iPhone 4k movie files in Yosemite 10.10.5

Hi

My newer MBP is in the shop. All I gots is a 2010 MBP with Yosemite 10.10.5. QT and FCPX can't play the 4K video from my iPhone, codec HVC1 or something, I think.

I can't go up in OS or I'll lose some apps functionality.

Is there a player that can play those files as I'm set up now?

best

elmer

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 17, 2019 9:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2019 8:45 AM

You will need iOS 11 or macOS High Sierra (10.13.6) or later to watch the HEVC (aka H.265) videos in QuickTime.

See Using HEIF or HEVC on Apple Devices

In the VLC 3.0.7 release notes, it would appear that VLC uses macOS Hardware decoding to play HEVC videos. The appropriate hardware decoding may not exist on a 2010 MacBook Pro.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2019 8:45 AM in response to elmerlang

You will need iOS 11 or macOS High Sierra (10.13.6) or later to watch the HEVC (aka H.265) videos in QuickTime.

See Using HEIF or HEVC on Apple Devices

In the VLC 3.0.7 release notes, it would appear that VLC uses macOS Hardware decoding to play HEVC videos. The appropriate hardware decoding may not exist on a 2010 MacBook Pro.

Player to run iPhone 4k movie files in Yosemite 10.10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.